If you utilized the Real Streaming format of videos on eCollege, they WILL NOT migrate over to Canvas from your eCollege course. In all likelihood, if you have this format, you probably went through Christine Miller for this service. If you will want to still use these resources, please contact Christine at
If you had ANY other type of video in your courses (.mp4, .mov, .wmv, .m4v, .flv, etc) these should migrate over successfully to Canvas as long as it was output as a video file (using programs such as Camtasia, Adobe Captivate, Articulate).
If you are linking to video files from outside websites, such as YouTube or Vimeo, the links and embedding should copy over, but as always, you should double check to make sure these did not break in the copy process.
Moving forward, we encourage all faculty to set up an account with
3CMedia Solutions for all of their video/multimedia needs. 3C Media is like a YouTube for educators. Canvas has limited media storage and so courses that utilize an exceptional amount of multimedia resources will definitely want to store their files at 3C Media.
Once you set up an account at 3C Media with your smc.edu email, please contact
email@example.com to get added to the 3C Media Santa Monica College Group account. Once that step is completed, you will be able to upload your videos directly to 3C Media and request free captioning for those videos. The turnaround time for getting videos captioned is generally about 1 week, depending on how long it is, the time of the week you requested the captioning, and whether or not you were able to provide a transcript. In order to upload your content to 3CMedia Solutions, it must be in a digital format. If you need assistance getting your content digitized, please contact
There are several other benefits in utilizing 3C Media.
- Free, closed captioning service. Fast turn-around.
- You will be able to access any content your colleagues have chosen to share within the Shared SMC Group folder.
- If the content you are hoping to utilize has already been digitized at any time in the past and captioned for another course, DE and/or Alternate Media will be able to get that to you quickly via the shared folder in the SMC Group.
- You can use 3C Media to store any type of file. This might include MS Powerpoint, MS Word, etc.
- Faculty can store as much video, audio and other digital resources at 3C Media as they wish. There is no size limit at 3C Media. Canvas default media storage size is smaller than eCollege, so 3C Media is like a digital file cabinet for all your digital resources.