Santa Monica College will be a leader and innovator in learning and achievement. As a community committed to open dialog and the free exchange of ideas, Santa Monica College will foster its core values: knowledge, intellectual inquiry, research-based planning and evaluation, academic integrity, ethical behavior, democratic processes, communication and collegiality, global awareness, and sustainability.
Santa Monica College provides a safe and inclusive learning environment that encourages personal and intellectual exploration, and challenges and supports students in achieving their educational goals. Students learn to contribute to the global community as they develop an understanding of their relationship to diverse social, cultural, political, economic, technological, and natural environments. The College recognizes the critical importance of each individual's contribution to the achievement of this mission.
Santa Monica College provides open and affordable access to high quality associate degree and certificate of achievement programs and participates in partnerships with other colleges and universities to facilitate access to baccalaureate and higher degrees. The College's programs and services assist students in the development of skills needed to succeed in college, prepare students for careers and transfer, and nurture a lifetime commitment to learning.
To achieve this vision, Santa Monica College has identified the following Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILOs) and supporting goals.
Institutional Learning Outcomes
Santa Monica College students will:
- Personal Attributes:
Acquire the self-confidence and self-discipline to pursue their intellectual curiosities with integrity in both their personal and professional lives.
- Analytic and Communication Skills:
Obtain the knowledge and academic skills necessary to access, evaluate, and interpret ideas, images, and information critically in order to communicate effectively, reach conclusions, and solve problems.
- Applied Social Knowledge and Values:
Respect the inter-relatedness of the global environment, engage with diverse peoples, and acknowledge the significance of their daily actions relative to broader issues and events.
- Applied Knowledge and Valuation of the Physical World:
Take responsibility for their own impact on the earth by living a sustainable and ethical life style.
- Authentic Engagement:
Demonstrate a level of engagement in the subject matter that enables and motivates the integration of acquired knowledge and skills beyond the classroom.
Innovative and Responsive Academic Environment
- Continuously develop curricular programs, learning strategies, and services to meet the evolving needs of students and the community
Supportive Learning Environment
- Provide access to comprehensive student learning resources such as library, tutoring, and technology
- Provide access to comprehensive and innovative student support services such as admissions and records, counseling, assessment, outreach, and financial aid
Stable Fiscal Environment
- Respond to dynamic fiscal conditions through ongoing evaluation and reallocation of existing resources and the development of new resources
Sustainable Physical Environment
- Apply sustainable practices to maintain and enhance the college’s facilities and infrastructure including grounds, buildings, and technology
Supportive Collegial Environment
- Improve and enhance decision making and communication processes in order to respect the diverse needs and goals of the entire college community