The 2018 Faculty Summer Institute Application is NOW OPEN!
Application deadline is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 25th, 2018.
The Faculty Summer Institute takes place over 8 days, between July 30th and August 9th.
The 2018 institute will focus on the topics of:
- Culturally Responsive Pedagogy
- Excellence in Teaching
- Curriculum Design/Redesign
What is the Faculty Summer Institute (FSI)?
- FSI is a place for faculty to connect, collaborate, and create.
- It is a series of workshops and speakers over the course of two weeks, designed to enrich your abilities as a teacher, and as a part of the Santa Monica College community.
- Faculty will learn about ways to revitalize their teaching, increase student retention and persistence, and keep students engaged.
- During the institute, experts and practitioners in the field of education share research-based strategies that increase student success.
- Participants will explore topics and exercises in Technology, Culturally Responsive Pedagogy, Curriculum Design/Redesign, Excellence in Teaching, and Metacognition.
- Participating faculty typically receive a stipend for their participation in the Faculty Summer Institute and continuing involvement in The Center for Teaching Excellence.
- Implementation plans are drafted by each attendee explaining how they will use what they learned over the two weeks, and how they will collaborate with their fellow faculty members and other departments to improve their instructional skills and methods.
- 100% of participants since 2013 have reported using at least one method learned at FSI in their classes.
Questions? Please contact The Center at
TheCenter@smc.edu or call 310-434-8717
The 2016 Faculty Summer Institute
We did it again! The Center for Teaching Excellence was proud to see the success of our 4th annual Faculty Summer Institute. This year’s Institute once again took place at the Bundy Campus, on Monday through Thursday over two weeks, between August 1st and August 11th, 2016.
Since 2013, Santa Monica College has now had 138 unique participants in the Faculty Summer Institute, spanning over 21 departments and disciplines. This year, there were 30 participants.
Thank you to everyone that made this another great year for FSI!
(From left to right) Standing: Patti Colton, Christopher Gibson (Institutional Research), Chris Liu, Alex Schnitzler, Matt Musselman, Eric Minzenberg, Shanon Zusman, Robert Armstrong, Delland Bartlett, Kristen Lui-Martinez, Martin Ledford, Christopher Meeks, Ariane Dalla Déa, Arek Arakelian, Brian Rodas.
Seated, Top Row: Valerie Narey, Jessup Yenser
Seated, Middle Row: Natasha Calzatti, Kevin Chicas, Kenya Mitchell, Alejandro Lee, Deborah Novak, LaTanya Louis, Eleni Hioureas
Seated, Front Row: Anasheh Gharabighi, Keiko Tsurumi, Fendi He, Keith Everett, Ashanti Blaize-Hopkins, Cole James, and Edna Chavarry (Director, Academic Affairs Initiatives).
The 2015 Faculty Summer Institute
FSI 2015 was a great success!
Thank you to all of our attendees and facilitators. We are looking forward to a wonderful year ahead.
The 2014 Faculty Summer Institute
Final Day of FSI 2014
FSI 2013 - July 29 through August 8, 2013
Faculty connected, collaborated, and created at the Faculty Summer Institute (FSI). This Summer marked our first Faculty Summer Institute: faculty learned about ways to revitalize their teaching, increase student retention and persistence, and keep students engaged.
During the institute, experts and practitioners in the field of education shared research-based strategies that increase student success.
Space was limited to 30 instructional faculty. Participating faculty will receive a stipend for their participation in the Faculty Summer Institute and continuing involvement in The Center. Implementation plans were drafted by each attendee explaining how they will use what they learned over the two weeks, and how they will collaborate with their fellow faculty members and other departments to improve their instructional skills and methods. We thank everyone who attended and were please to have such a motivated, involved group.
Photos and info from the 2014 Faculty Summer Institute will be available in Fall, so check back often for more reports from this year's institute, presentations from attendees, and photos.
Final Day of FSI 2013