The Center for Teaching Excellence
Transitioning to a Remote Environment
Please find a curated collection of remote learning resources, instructions and tutorials, including Canvas integration and tips & tricks on our new dedicated page:
SMC Covid-19 Resources
Upcoming Events At-a-Glance Spring 2020
Spring 2020 - Webinars and Online Trainings
|Monday 4/6/20||2:00 - 3:00 pm||ACUE: Managing Your Online Presence||Register Here|
|Thursday 4/9/20||9:00 - 9:45 am||How to Manage Stress as a Faculty Member During Uncertain Times||Register Here|
Thursday 4/9/20|| 10:00 - 11:00 am||
Equity-Minded Student Services in the Online Environment
(with CORA's Dr. J. Luke Wood and Dr. Frank Harris III)
|Thursday 4/9/20||2:00 - 3:00 pm||ACUE: Organizing Your Online Courses||
|Tuesday 4/14/20||2:00 - 3:00 pm||ACUE: Planning and Facilitating Quality Discussions||
|Friday 4/17/20||2:00 - 3:00 pm||ACUE: Recording Effective Microlectures||Register Here|
|Monday 4/20/20||2:00 - 3:00 pm||ACUE: Engaging Students in Readings and Microlectures||Register Here|
From our partners at 3CSN
*All sessions are one hour in length
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
ICYMI: Recordings of Recent Webinars
Drs. Frank Harris III and J. Luke Wood's Latest Webinar from 3/26/2020:
Employing Equity-Minded & Culturally-Affirming Teaching Practices in Virtual Learning Communities
USC's Center for Urban Education Webinar from 3/26/2020:
Supporting students, colleagues, and community during COVID-19
Sign Up Now!
Online Course Now Available for all SMC Classified and Administrators:
Supporting Men of Color in Community College
Participate in this online course, designed specifically for classified and administrators.
Dear classified and administrators:
This has been a difficult time for each of us, but we’re in this together. SMC is grappling with our new reality and how we temporarily provide services remotely. As a College, we are asking how we can best show up for our students now and in the future.
Something is clear: we come together for our students. Whether you’re working remotely or at the campus, this may be an opportune time to participate in online professional development that is essential to the College’s equity work: Supporting Men of Color in the Community College course. The course takes approximately 16 hours and could be done on campus or off campus. Those who complete the program will also earn a certificate. Talk to your supervisor before signing up to make sure this is the best time to take the course – we will be offering it through December.
Looking forward to continuing our equity work,
ABOUT THE SUPPORTING MEN OF COLOR CERTIFICATE
The Center for Organizational Responsibility and Advancement (CORA) has gained widespread attention for its Teaching Men of Color Certificate Program. They now offer an online training program designed to enhance the capacity of classified professionals, counselors and administrators to support the success of Men of Color.
Weekly assignments include participating in 1 hour-long online modules, reading 1 book chapter, 2-4 articles per module, & online posts. Additionally, you'll will be required to attend at least 1 live online session date within 30 days of beginning the course (dates will be provided upon being accepted to the course).
WHEN YOU ARE READY TO BEGIN THE COURSE, go online and create your CORA account (please make sure to use your SMC email). Your 30 days to complete the course begins when your CORA account is confirmed (extensions can be provided). Below are the steps to begin the course:
- click or copy the following link into a new tab: https://coralearning.org/product/supporting-men-of-color-in-the-community-college/
- click on the gray "ENROLL IN THIS COURSE" button
- at the top of the page, inside the green box, click on the gray "VIEW CART" button
- on the left side of the page, in the coupon code box enter in SMCC20 (This will cover the cost of the course)
- enter your information in the "Billing Details" section (don't worry, you won't be charged anything)
- submit your enrollment form
- you will receive a series of confirmation emails directly from email@example.com. We will also get an update of your signup/start date in our admin dashboard. Your account will deactivate after 30 days from the date of your enrollment, but you can ask CORA directly for an extension.
- within 2 business days of signing up you will receive an access code from The Center to download a free electronic copy of the course book.
Please direct all general questions to
Tech support for your account should be emailed to