Wireless Internet Access at SMC
Please Note: If you are currently unable to access the SMC wireless network, delete (or "forget") your connection to smcwifi-wpa or smc-wifi and recreate it. Please contact us using our problem report form if you still have problems.
Students can access the internet using the SMC wireless network with their laptop or other wifi-enabled device. Wireless network coverage is available in most parts of the main campus and off-campus locations.
What you need to get connected
- You need a laptop computer or other wifi-enabled device.
- You need your SMC network username and password
- You need to be currently taking classes at SMC
- You need to login to the network (see
- Please do not leave your laptop, tablet or phone unattended! The College is not responsible for stolen equipment.
- Please avoid extending network and electrical cables across aisles where they might be safety hazards.
Follow the Computer Use Policies
The use of the campus network requires adherence to the
SMC Student Computer Use Policy. Misuse of computing and network resources or non-compliance with written usage policies may result in loss of your network access via this service.
If you have questions please read our
FAQ, use our
Tech Support Chat or fill out our
Problem report form and a Library staff member will contact you.
How do I get connected?
The SMC wireless network is running two SSIDs. Please select
smcwifi-wpa unless directed by College staff.
SSIDs and their Security Levels
For detailed instructions please see below:
Windows 10 Wifi Setup
Windows 8.1 Wifi Setup
Windows 7 Wifi Setup
Apple Macintosh Wireless Setup
- Right click on your Airport icon to see access points available.
smcwifi-wpa. If you choose smcwifi-open you will have to re-login periodically.
Wireless Configuration for Apple iOS devices
- From the Home screen, tap Settings, then tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap Wi-Fi and enable Wi-Fi if it is not already on.
- Tap smcwifi-wpa.
- You will be prompted to login with your SMC network username and password.
Wireless Configuration for Android, ChromeOS and Linux
- Choose the
- EAP Method: PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication: MSCHAPv2
- CA certificate: Use system certificates
- Domain: smc.edu
- User certificate: None installed
- Identity: enter your SMC network username here
- Password: enter your password here
- Anonymous identity: leave blank
- Check "Save identity and password"
You must login before you can access the network. Use your SMC Student Network account username and password to login. If you do not know what your SMC Student Network username is, you can login to
Corsair Connect and find that information at the bottom of the main Corsair Connect page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are there wireless access points at SMC?
Most of the Main campus and off-campus sites have wireless coverage. Currently, there are access points at the Library, the Cayton Center, the Cafeteria, the Clocktower and Bookstore areas (outside), the Humanities and Social Sciences buildings (HSS), Drescher Hall, the Business building, at the Madison Campus, at AET, and at the Bundy campus. Several of these access points also reach some of the adjacent areas.
Can I print from my laptop?
Yes you can print from your laptop or mobile device. Please see the instructions for wireless printing on our
Student Print Services page
Who is eligible to use this service?
All currently-enrolled students, faculty and staff with a valid SMC network account are eligible to use wireless at SMC.
What network services are available?
Only web access is allowed (http and https). Campus network ports and the wireless network do not allow access to any non-web services such as telnet, FTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, etc.
It doesn't work!
Try closing and restarting web browsers. Firewall or security software on your laptop can also prevent you from accessing the network. Check your network settings. Make sure you are not trying to use any non-SMC proxy server, nameserver or gateway.
I tried all of this and it still doesn't work!
Please go to our
problem report form and use our live tech support chat or our email contact form and we will help you.