Current Workshop Members Only
What is Sustainable Works?
Sustainable Works is an environmental education organization and a project of Community Partners. Our work is made possible by the City of Santa Monica's Sustainable City Plan, our program participants, grants, individual donors, and in-kind service donations from Santa Monica College. We are funded by the City of Santa Monica and are housed in the Center for Environmental and Urban Studies (CEUS) on the SMC campus. Our programs serve residents, businesses and students. Watch our video.
Sustainable Works wishes to thank City of Santa Monica Office of Sustainability and the Environment and Edison International for funding the Student Sustainability Workshops at Santa Monica College.
What is a Student Sustainability Workshop?
The Student Sustainability Workshop is a unique, peer-to-peer educational program where students learn about important environmental issues and the ways that they can incorporate sustainable practices into their everyday lives, improve their quality of life, and save resources while saving money. Student also learn about careers in the emerging green economy and the paths they can take to pursue them.
Each Workshop is made up of a group of 15 – 25 students who meet once a week for 8 weeks. The Workshops are structured around the exploration of the issues and solutions related to 6 key topics: water, energy, waste, chemicals, transportation and shopping/food. Guided by the Workshop Leader and the program text, the Sustainable Worksbook, students learn about the local, regional, and global environmental impact of their daily choices and the solutions they can use to reduce that impact. In addition to the weekly Workshop meetings, students are given the opportunity to apply what they are learning about environmental stewardship by participating in a 3-hour community service project with a local non-profit or on-campus organization.
What are the benefits of participating in the Student Sustainability Workshop?
- Providing you with the practical solutions you can use to reduce your environmental impact
- Learning how to save money by conserving resources
- Exposing you to green careers that may interest you
- Earning extra credit from participating professors
- Increasing your public speaking and leadership skills
- Enhancing your resumes and transfer/scholarship applications
- Connecting you to the community both on and off campus
- Receiving a Certificate of Participation from Sustainable Works at the end of the program
- Making new friends
- Improving your overall college experience
Contact Sustainable Works
Address: 1744 Pearl Street SM CA 90405 (Center for Environmental and Urban Studies)