Founded in 2017, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) at SMC provides free federal and state income tax preparation assistance to eligible low-to moderate-income individuals living in the state of California. Our goal is to help, assist and educate people in filing their tax returns.
Tax preparers, reviewers and coordinators are composed of volunteers who want to contribute their time to prepare free tax returns for individuals. In addition, all volunteers are certified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to file tax returns and have received extensive tax preparation training. SMC VITA site is coordinated and supervised by a IRS certified and California Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Cesar Rubio CPA MBA MST
Where is the SMC VITA tax site located?
3400 Airport Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
What are the days and times the free tax return preparation services offered?
2018 Tax Season
The tax site will be open from February 9 through April 7 every Friday and Saturday between
9 am to 3 pm. The actual dates are listed below:
- February 9 & 10
- February 16 & 17
- February 23 & 24
- March 3
- March 9 & 10
- March 16 & 17
- March 23 & 24
- March 30 & 31
- April 6 & 7
Where do I call to make an appointment?
The phone number to call to make an appointment is (424) 291-0294. When you call, please be ready to provide the day and time you wish to visit the tax site. You may want to have other days and times in mind just in case your preferred day and time is no longer available.
If you call and get a recording, please leave your name, the day and time you wish to visit the tax site and a phone number to call you back to confirm the appointment.
Who can file tax returns with SMC VITA?
If you earned less than $75,000 in 2017, our professionally trained volunteers can prepare and electronically file your federal and state tax return.
WILL prepare 2017 tax return with the following activity:
- Wages, salaries, etc. (Form W-2)
- Interest & Dividend Income (Form 1099-INT & 1099-DIV)
- State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
- Unemployment Benefits (Form 1099-G)
- IRS Distributions (Form 1099-R)
- Pension Income (Forms 1099-R, RRB-1099, CSA-1099)
- Social Security Benefits (SSA-1099)
- Simple Capital Gain/Loss (Form 1099-B)
- Sale of Home (Form 1099-S) limited
- Self-employed Income (Form 1099-MISC) limited
- Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
- Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) limited
- Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited
- Itemized Deductions limited
- Education Credits (Form 1099-T)
- Child Tax Credit
- Earned Income Credit (EIC)
- ACA Statements (Forms 1095-A, B and C)
Will NOT prepare:
- Schedule C with loss, depreciation or business use of home.
- Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number)
- Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
- Form 8615 (child taxed at parent’s tax rate)
- Form SS-8 (determination of worker status)
- Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit, Part 4 & 5)
- Prior year tax returns
- Amended tax returns
- Married-Filing Separate (MFS) filing status
What should I bring to the tax site?
Required for ALL:
- Photo ID. (i.e. driver’s license, passport, CA Id. student Id, etc.)
- Social Security Card for you, spouse and dependents (copies are acceptable)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, spouse and dependents (copies are acceptable)
- A Cancelled Bank Check to confirm routing and account number on your bank account to receive refund via direct deposit
Birth dates for you, spouse and/or dependents
A copy of last year’s federal and state returns.
All tax forms (i.e. W-2, 1098, 1099, 1095-A, etc.)
Information for “other income”
Information for all deductions/credits
Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number and address
Do I need to make an appointment?
It is highly recommended that you make an appointment. We will serve those taxpayers who schedule an appointment first before we accept walk-ins. Thus, we cannot guarantee serving walk-ins due to the limited time and availability. Please call (424) 291-0294 to make an appointment.
Keep in mind that we accept and welcome walk-ins, but you may run a risk of waiting approximately 30 minutes to several hours or run the risk of not being served due to our hours of operation.
In addition, walk-ins will not be accepted 1 hour before the tax site closes.
Who will be preparing the tax returns?
All the tax preparers, reviewers, and coordinators at SMC VITA site are volunteers, and they have received tax preparation training and have also been certified by the IRS to prepare tax returns. After the tax return is prepared, a certified volunteer will make a final review before e-filing the return.
What languages are spoken at the tax site?
Our volunteers speak various languages:
- English, Spanish, Chinese and Hebrew