- How many hours are needed to qualify to take the State Board examinations?
1600 hours for the Cosmetology program.
- How long is the Cosmetology Program?
Length of program completion will vary per student's schedule and other factors.
- Is there a part-time program?
Classes are offered independently of each other, so students may choose to attend full or part-time to fit their personal schedules.
- Must classes be taken in a specific order?
Classes without prerequisites may be taken in any order. Others must be taken sequentially: for example, Cosmetology 11A must be taken before Cosmetology 21A, which must be taken before Cosmetology 31A.
- Is hands-on experience included?
After 400 classroom hours, students can gain practical experience in the Cosmetology Department’s busy on-site salon.
- What is the tuition?
Enrollment fees are on a per-unit basis. Current California resident, non-resident and international student fee information is online at www.smc.edu and in the class schedule.
- Are there additional costs?
Total costs for textbooks, student kits and incidentals are approximately $2000.
- Is there an AA degree in Cosmetology?
In addition to receiving a Cosmetology Certificate of Completion, students may apply their 36-unit credits towards a Cosmetology Associate Arts degree.
- Is financial aid available?
SMC offers a variety of financial assistance to students through the Financial Aid office at (310) 434-4343.
- Is job placement provided?
Some employers post employment opportunities directly with the Cosmetology Department. Santa Monica College’s Career Services Center may also provide additional help.