PART II: COMPLETE THE ED PLANNING FORM
- Review the ED PLAN FORM EXAMPLE. You can also seethe Example Ed Plan form in your Packet. Each section in the online Example is indicated with a different color (The directions below refer to each section and color).All of the Ed plan must be completed for this assignment.
- Download the ED PLAN FORM (Word - can enter text directly into the form).Save it to your computer or memory device. Click on an area or 'Tab' to each area to fill in the information (you can type in lower case and it will automatically be capitalized when you tab to the next area). OR, print Ed Plan Form (PDF). OR, use the pages in your Counseling 20 Packet. If you use the paper form, be sure you use pencil.
- Use the information you collected for your Major and General Education to fill in the Ed Plan form. If you don't have a 'hard copy' of the sheets you need, access them online: SMC Articulation and/or ASSIST.
- Use the Schedule of Classes so you can choose the right courses for you and to get all the information needed to complete your Ed Plan form.
The colors identified below refer to different parts of the "EXAMPLE Ed Plan" in number 1, above.
- Complete your personal information (Green), including the total number of units to reach your goal.
- Fill in your Major classes on the form (Aqua) and total the number of units. EXAMPLE CSU MAJOR- CSU Long Beach Business (Articulation information and courses on Ed Plan.
- Choose a Global Citizenship (Red) course if you want to get an AA(with or without transfer).
- Fill in the General Education classes on the form (Yellow) and total the number of units. EXAMPLE CSU GE
- Total the number of units for Major and General Education to determine the number of Elective units you need to reach the total to reach your goal.
Remember: You may be able to use one course for two different requirements - but be sure you ONLY count the number of units ONE time.
Identify the Prerequisite Classes (Grey) that you need to take in order to reach your 'Target' course. See the "EXAMPLE Ed Plan" above.
6. Fill in the Semester/Session Plan (Pink). See the "EXAMPLE Ed Plan" above.
- First, identify the course you are in now (or placed into if you haven't taken a course yet).
- Next, identify the 'Target' course you need for your major and/or General Education requirement.
- Use this chart to view your math and English sequences: Placement Chart September 2011 USE.pdf
- Finally, fill in each course you will need to take to reach your Target course.
- Many other disciplines also have a prerequisite courses.
- Begin with the courses you are currently taking in the first box.
- Be sure you indicate the number of Units and which requirement the course meets (General Education, Major, Prerequisite, Elective) - a course can meet more than one requirement.
Step 3: Meet with a Counselor
1. When totaling the number of units for Major and General Education it will help you determine:
A. How many pre-requisite classes you will need to take
B. How many units you will need to complete for your minor courses
C. The number of Elective units you need to reach the total number of units you need to transfer
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
2. When identifying the Prerequisite classes that you need to take to in order to reach your 'Target' course:
A. First, identify the course you are in now (or placed into if you haven't taken a course yet.
B. Consult the English and Math Placement Chart Sequence
C. You do not need to take prerequisites. They are just a suggestion.
D. Both A and B are correct.
E. None of the above.
3. T/F: You may be able to use one course for two different requirements but can only count the units once.
4. T/F: You can find course descriptions for SMC classes in your Counseling 20 textbook.
5. Open ended: What resources do you need in order to help you fill out your ed plan form? What forms? Websites? Charts?