APPLICATION & ADMISSIONS PROCESS
Students may apply for admission to the RT program once they can submit documentation that they have completed all of the program pre-requisite classes. Contact the Respiratory Therapy program at 310 434-3446 for an application or for a counseling appointment. You may also download an application from the link below.
For purposes of application to the RT Program, college transcripts covering all program pre-requisite coursework must be submitted with the application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
*Requirements for Admission are subject to change
For purposes of evaluating general education requirements for the Associate in Arts degree, official transcripts must be sent directly from all colleges to:
Santa Monica College
Admissions & Records Office
1900 Pico Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
****This must be done prior to your final semester in the RT program.*****
PREPARATION FOR THE RT MAJOR
Students seeking admission to the Respiratory Therapy major should consider the following information:
- Applicants for program must have a negative criminal background check and pass a drug screening procedure to participate in any clinical classes.
- SMC’s RT Program is an “Advanced Practice” level Program, thus graduates are eligible for the “Registered Respiratory Therapist” exams, as well as the State’s entry-level exam for entry into practice.
- Prospective applicants should consider taking the introductory RT course, RT 1 to find out more about the program and the profession.
- Appointments with the RT Faculty advisor are available by calling for an appointment.
- Clinical experience will be arranged in a variety of excellent medical facilities throughout the greater LA area.
- Prior to entry into clinical training students are required to take a state approved “Legal Obligations and Ethical Responsibilities of Respiratory Care Practitioners in CA” course.
- The costs associated with the program over the two years are approximately $3,000 - $4,000.
ENROLLMENT IN THE RESPIRATORY THERAPY PROGRAM IS OPEN TO PERSONS REGARDLESS OF SEX, AGE, MARITAL STATUS, DISABILITY, ETHNIC GROUP, RELIGION OR NATIONAL ORIGIN.