For Math 81, Math 84 and Math 31
Students must have 16 Arranged Hours completed by the specified date each semester (see below). These hours may be accumulated by any combination of the following four options with specific details for each method listed further down the page.
1) Complete online activities using the code provided in packages purchased at SMC bookstore.
3) (Fall and Spring only) Attend Faculty led workshops very selected times and days.
4) Complete activity worksheets from specific activity workbooks provided in packages purchased at SMC bookstore.
Note: It is sometimes possible to purchase code for option 1) or a standalone book for option 4) but they are very pricey.
A USED BOOK IS RARELY CHEAPER for these three classes. The bookstore carries packages only containing the main text, a workbook for arranged hours and an online code for arranged hours and possible required homework. They do NOT carry the components separately; the workbooks and the online codes can be purchased directly from the publisher with prices usually ranging from $50-$100 for each individual component; keep this hefty price in mind if you choose to purchase a used text. During the Fall and Spring semester it may be possible to complete arranged hours using Supplemental Instruction meetings or Faculty led workshops if your schedule does not conflict with when these are meeting.
Last date to accrue hours for Winter 2015
To have activities stamped in the math lab deadline is 4pm Tuesday February 10, 2015.
To complete activities online deadline is 11:59 pm uesday February 10, 2015.
To accumulate hours towards your arranged hour commitment you must follow the directions correctly. Failure to follow these directions may result in hours not being accumulated on the official report and can result in a substandard grade.
Online Hours (REQUIRES ACCESS CODE provided free in new packages) - use any computer -
· Sign in:
First Sign in: following the course specific directions: Math 81 & 84, Math 31
Subsequent sign in: go to appropriate website and log in.
· Activity: complete assignments on the homework tab. Students will receive 60 minutes credit toward their Arranged Hours requirement for each Homework section that is completed with a score of 70% or higher.
· Sign out: log off from the system. Assignments on homework tab with scores under 70% and completion of other material does not accumulate hours.
Supplemental Instruction Workshops - (Spring and Fall only) see postings in MC 84 - Maximum of 2 hours per day
· Sign in: sign in on sheet provided by SI Leader, make sure to include your section number.
· Activity: participate in activities conducted by the SI Leader.
· Sign out: sign out on the sheet provided by the SI Leader. Failure to sign out results in 0 hours being accumulated.
Faculty Led Workshops - (Spring and Fall only) see postings for times in MC 84
If the workshop takes place in MC 84, students are required to sign into the system on one of the login computers provided to help track math lab usage for budgeting and scheduling by choosing "Lab Hours", enter student id and press enter.
· Sign in on the computer next to the door
· Sign in: sign in on sheet provided by faculty Leader, make sure to include your section number.
· Activity: participate in activities conducted.
· Sign out: sign out on the sheet provided. Failure to sign out results in 0 hours being accumulated.
· Sign out on the computer next to the door as you leave the math lab.
Activity Workbooks (REQUIRES WORKBOOKS provided free in new packages) in Math Lab - MC 84 - Maximum of 2 hours per day
Students are required to sign into the system on one of the login computers provided to help track math lab usage for budgeting and scheduling by choosing "Lab Hours", enter student id and press enter.
- Sign in on the computer next to the door
- Complete an activity of your choice found in the Learning Guide for Math 31, or workbooks at the end of the Math 81 and Math 84 packets. These books are all found in most packages sold at the bookstore.
- Take the completed activity to Judish Mosher or an Instructional Assistant and have it stamped and sign off.
- Take this stamped and signed off activity to your instructor for documentation.
- Sign out: on the computer next to the door as you leave - FYI: This computer tracks math lab usage to be used for budgeting and scheduling. It is very important to sign in and out.
How do I check my Arranged Hours? - rumors are this is very inaccurate
1. Go to CC and select Enrollment
2. Choose the correct semester
3. Select "Student Records"
4. Select "Lab/Tutor Hours" icon
5. Select "Math Computer & Tutoring Lab" option from the drop down menu.
FYI: There is a time delay between online hours and SI hours are completed and when they appear in the system.