Welcome to the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, where we provide a wide array of courses for beginning students who wish to develop language skills, intermediate students who are honing their skills and furthering their introduction to literature and culture, and advanced students who enroll in our civilization and tradition and culture courses. While many of the MLCD courses prepare students for transfer to the UC and CSU systems as well as other public and private colleges in and out of California, students with a variety of interests and goals ranging from personal fulfillment to completing a major or minor in an MLCD discipline are well-represented in our department.
The Santa Monica College Department of Modern Languages and Cultures promotes a community of respect and understanding of different ethnic groups and their cultures through the study of language, literature, and culture. We train students to understand, speak, read, and write in the target language, enabling them to interact with and contribute to the global community by giving students a global perspective, including the appreciation of other cultural heritages, which promotes community, national, and international cooperation.
From “Why Learn Another Language?” A publication of the Modern Language Association:
Possible Careers with this major/double major or minor:
• Education: Teacher (Bilingual for Elementary, Language, Culture, and Literature for Middle School and High School), Professor (Community College and University)
• Business (Bilingual/Multilingual Competencies increase employment opportunities at every level from entry to top level management)
• Government agencies, armed services, national security organizations
• Interpreting/Translating (Business, Courts, Legal Offices, Hospitals, Health Care)
• Tourism/Travel/Hotel (Bilingual/Multilingual Competencies increase employment opportunities at every level from entry to top level management)
• Vocational Fields (Bilingual/Multilingual Competencies increase employment opportunities at every level from entry to top management)
• Health Care Providers (Bilingual Physicians, Nurses, Therapists, Dentists, Psychologists, etc.)
• Social Services (social workers, etc.)