Outgoing or outbound mail involves the preparation, metering, presorting and delivery of mail to the United States Post Office (USPS), satellite sites and Santa Monica-Malibu Unified.
The tabs below will assist you in familiarizing yourself with:
- How to properly prepare outgoing mail.
- Learn about the USPS Classes of Mail.
- Available templates to assist you in designing your mail piece.
- Services to clean and update your address list data to ensure it is delivered and help qualify mailings for the lowest postage rates.
If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact our Mailroom at 310-434-4437 or email us at
The information provided on this page is provided to assist you with your mailing needs, but if you have specific requirements or require additional assistance, please contact the Mailroom.
Having trouble viewing tabs below?
See alternate version without tabs.
- Do not print any words or graphics in the read area of the mail piece (Please see template for mail positioning.)
- All self mailers must be tabbed, no staples.
- All designs should be checked by the mail room department before printing to avoid costly surcharges and extra expenses by USPS.
Template for Mail Positioning
Format Elements of a Mail Piece
Always use a return address - if the letter is undeliverable, it can be returned.
Endorsements are placed above and to the left of the delivery address (2 lines below return address). This is optional for non-profit mail.
Name and/or "Attention:" line. Print or type delivery address clearly in center of envelope (Use 10, 12, 14 pts. for best readability).
First and foremost, the endorsement should be clear and legible:
- Use all caps, spaces between words, no punctuation, and left justify the margin.
- The color contrast between the endorsement and the mail piece background must be kept at a reasonable degree. A brilliant colored background or reverse printing is not permitted for automation discounts. Pieces prepared in this manner will require slower, manual processing.
Always use applicable directional in address (e.g., "N" for north and "S" for south).
Always use applicable abbreviated locators in address (e.g., APT, ST, AVE).
Always include applicable RM (Room), FL (Floor), STE (Suite), or APT (Apartment) # on same line as (and after) street address (preferred), or on the line above the street address.
Use two letter state abbreviations in address block.
Use a ZIP+4® ZIP Code™ (if known) on last line following city and state. Otherwise, use the ZIP Code.
This is the barcode area; if you do not have a program that calculates and prints the correct barcode, then leave this area blank.
Postage is placed in upper right corner.
If you have any questions, please contact the mailroom at extension 4437.