Santa Monica College Promise Perks
Free Enrollment & Fees
- New full-time students (12 units or more per semester) who just graduated from high school anywhere in California are eligible for free enrollment in classes (a value of up to $2,300 based on current fees); and
- Free Student ID card, free Associated Students membership, and free health fee!
Up to $1,200 Textbook Vouchers
SMC wants to help you offset the high cost of textbooks to help YOU achieve your academic goals by providing you textbook vouchers (if eligible for the California College Promise Grant)
- $100 for summer session
- $500 for the fall semester
- $100 for the winter session
- $500 for the spring semester
- Get access to early enrollment once you become eligible for the SMC Promise!
Who is Eligible?
- You are a California resident or an AB 540 student.
- You graduated from any public or private California high school in 2018 or 2019 and are directly attending SMC as a first-year student.
- If you graduated in 2018, you are eligible for Spring 2019.
- If you graduate in 2019, you are eligible for any term in the 2019-20 academic year.
- You will take 12 units or more in Fall and Spring.
- If attending in Summer, enroll in at least 3 units and enroll in 12 units in Fall
If attending in Winter, enroll in at least 3 units and complete 12 units in Fall and enroll in 12 units in Spring.
How to Get Started
All the steps below are required:
- Apply to SMC.
- Complete the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application (AB 540 students). SMC must receive your data before the beginning of the qualifying term.
- Complete orientation, placement, and education planning.
Enroll in a minimum of 12 units in Fall and Spring semesters. While summer and winter attendance is not mandatory, you must enroll in at least 3 units to qualify for free enrollment or book vouchers.
Only eligible students will see Promise Program information when logging into Corsair Connect.
For more information, visit Frequently Asked Questions.
For questions about the SMC Promise, contact the Welcome Center: (310) 434-8101.
Benefits of the Santa Monica College Promise
The Santa Monica College Promise program is designed to help SMC students like YOU achieve your academic goals by providing free enrollment in classes, book vouchers to students eligible for the California College Promise grant, counseling support throughout the year, and priority enrollment in classes. Full-time attendance is required. Only students who have graduated from high schools in California are eligible.
Under the Promise Program, SMC will pay for your classes, your Associated Students membership, health, and student ID fees! As an SMC Promise student, you do not need to pay your fees when you enroll and you will not be dropped for nonpayment. Your fees will be paid to your SMC account so long as you maintain your eligibility, on the dates below:
- Summer 2019: July 26
- Fall 2019: October 29
- Winter 2020: December 9 to January 14
- Spring 2020: January 20 to April 28
$1,200 Textbook Voucher
SMC wants to help you offset the high cost of textbooks. We will give a $100 textbook voucher for the Summer session, $500 for Fall semester, $100 for Winter session, and $500 for Spring semester to students receiving a California College Promise Grant fee waiver (must meet all other eligibility requirements noted above under "Who is Eligible?").
Related: SMC Partners with OpenStax to Increase Use of Free Textbooks on Campus
Get Your Student ID Card for Free
Once you meet all of the SMC Promise eligibility requirements, go to the Bursar's Office in the Liberal Arts Building to get you free Student ID card. This will allow you to ride the Big Blue Bus for free.
Academic Counseling Support
Santa Monica College Promise students will receive ongoing academic support from counselors in the Welcome Center. For each fall and spring semester, a minimum of one meeting with a counselor from the Welcome Center or any counseling program the student may be a part of.