Exciting New Changes to Program!
New in 2018-2019: Santa Monica College Promise
- Free enrollment for new, full-time SMC students who graduated from a Californian high school in 2018.
$1,200 voucher for textbook expenses for California College Promise Grant-qualified students.
Who is Eligible?
- You just graduated from a high school in 2018 and are directly attending SMC as a first-year student.
- You will take 12 units or more per semester (Fall and Spring).
- You are a California resident or an AB 540 student.
- You graduated from any public or private California high school.
How to Get Started
All steps below are required:
- Apply to SMC.
- Complete the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application (AB 540 students). SMC must receive your data by the end of the second week of Fall.
- Complete orientation, assessment, and education planning.
Enroll in a minimum of 12 units in Fall (and later in Spring)
Only eligible students will see Promise Program information when logging into Corsair Connect.
For more information, visit Frequently Asked Questions.
For questions about the SMC Promise, contact the Welcome Center: (310) 434-8101.
Benefits of the Santa Monica College Promise
The Santa Monica College Promise program is designed to help SMC students like YOU achieve your academic goals by providing free enrollment in classes, book vouchers to students eligible for the California College Promise grant, counseling support throughout the year, and priority enrollment in classes. Full-time attendance is required. Only students who have graduated from high schools in California are eligible.
Under the Promise Program, SMC will pay for your classes, your Associated Students membership, health, and student ID fees!
$1,200 Textbook Voucher
SMC wants to help you offset the high cost of textbooks. We will give a $500 textbook voucher for Fall semester, $200 for Winter session, and $500 for Spring semester to students receiving a California College Promise Grant fee waiver (must meet all other eligibility requirements noted above under "Who is Eligible?").
Related: SMC Partners with OpenStax to Increase Use of Free Textbooks on Campus
Enrollment in First Year Experience Program and Registration Priority
Students in the SMC Promise will receive enrollment in the First Year Experience Program, which includes priority registration.
Academic Counseling Support
Santa Monica College Promise students will receive ongoing academic support from counselors in the FYE program. For each fall and spring semester, a minimum of two meetings with a counselor from the Welcome Center or any counseling program the student may be a part of.