Our Frequently Asked Questions section offers answers to a variety of the most common questions.

When is the deadline?

There is no official deadline. However, it is advantageous to turn in applications as soon as possible in order to have the best possibility to get in to a class, as well as to allow time to resolve any issues.

Any student wishing to enroll in a class that has already started must first get an Instructor Approval Code before turning in their application. Please refer to the Class Information​ section for more information.

How early can I turn in an application?

We will accept applications as soon as the schedule for the desired semester of enrollment has been published online. For winter/spring this is usually at the beginning of November and for summer/fall this is usually at the beginning of May.

I am graduating 8th grade, am I eligible to take summer classes?

Yes. You must get the application completed by your future high school, and your transcripts must be from your middle school.

Do I have to apply again if I have taken courses in the past?

Yes. A new and full application, including transcripts, is required for each term of enrollment.

I am undocumented, can I participate in HSCE?

Yes. If you are currently enrolled in a California high school, then you may apply to HSCE.

What is Dual Enrollment, and how is it different from Concurrent Enrollment?

Although these terms are often confused and used interchangeably at different colleges, at SMC we define "Concurrent" classes as those regularly taught on our campuses and online, and "Dual" classes as those taught on a high school campus. Dual Enrollment courses have a separate enrollment process, and students interested in those courses should talk to their high school counselor.

Where do I submit the High School Concurrent Application form?

To the Admissions & Records Office, located in the Admissions Complex 101 (on the corner of Pico Blvd., and 18th Street).

I lost my ID, can I use a photo of it instead?

No. Any time you visit an office on the SMC campus you should have a current government photo ID or current photo high school ID. After enrolling in a course and paying your student fees, you may get an SMC photo ID.

What kind of high school transcript do I need for my application?

Transcripts must be current, show all high school coursework, and come directly from the school. If a student has attended multiple high schools then all transcripts are required.

We will not accept printouts from student portals or report cards.

Can my parent drop off the High School Concurrent Enrollment application for me?

Yes. However, because of privacy concerns, the Admissions staff will not be able to review and process the application packet until after the time of submission. You may be contacted by phone or email at a later time to follow up, if needed. To ensure the quickest processing, please submit your application in person.

Can I fax or email my application?
We do not accept faxed applications. The preferred method of turning in applications is always to visit our Admissions office so that we can better check for problems and address student questions. Mailing applications to our Admissions Office or emailing them to concurrentenrollment@smc.edu is acceptable, but we are not responsible for lost mail and emailed applications must be scanned with suburb quality. We reserve the right to request originals for any reason.
When w​ill I find out if I have been admitted to the program?

Once we have reviewed your application packet and determined everything is in order, you will receive an email telling you for which courses you were approved.​ Generally speaking, students are admitted to the HSCE program, but not necessarily to the specific courses you want. We will let you know if you do not qualify for specific courses either by emailing or speaking with you.

Can I take any class I want?

SMC does not allow enrollment in Kinesiology (physical education) courses under any circumstances. Otherwise, you may enroll in any courses for which you are eligible and approved. These classes must be listed on your High School Concurrent Enrollment application form.

Additionally, you will not be permitted to enroll in subject areas where you previously received a grade below a C—whether taken at the college or high school level.

When can I enroll in classes?

Because of state law restrictions, concurrent enrollment​ students will be assigned an enrollment appointment on the last day of our enrollment priority cycle, after other SMC students have enrolled. As a result, some courses may be full. If enrolling for a summer/fall term, your enrollment day is around the fourth week of April. If enrolling for a winter/spring term, your enrollment day is around the fourth week of November. If you are unable to enroll in a specific class, you may go to the first day of class and ask the instructor if he/she can give you an "Instructor Authorization Code" to add the class. Please review our Class Information section for more information.

How do I enroll in a class?

You will enroll via our online student portal, Corsair Connect, during your appointed enrollment date/time. Please review our Class Information section for more information.

Do I have to take the placement test every time I enroll?

No. All high school concurrent enrollment students must take the English (and math placement test if relevant), one time and must place into at least English 21A in order to enroll in our Concurrent Enrollment program. If you did not place into at least English 21A, you may retest one time after a two-week wait. If you are attempting to enroll into a class that has a specific English or math course prerequisite, and did not place into that level, you may also retest one time.

How do I get high school credit?

We do not offer credit equivalencies, however many high schools do offer credit for our courses. You should talk to your high school counselor and review our Class Information section for more details.

How does my high school get my SMC transcript?

Transcripts can be ordered online and then sent directly to your high school.

Can fees be waived?

Yes and no. For on campus classes, the health fee is mandatory. Student ID and ASB fees can be waived by contacting the Bursar's Office. However, these are generally beneficial fees as they give students access to campus Wi-Fi,​riding the Big Blue Bus for free, printing services, and much more. More information on fees HERE.