​​​What to Do If You Have an "Under 18 Hold"

To remove an “Under 18 Hold”, the student must demonstrate high school graduation or its equivalency. To do so, students can have documentation demonstrating their fulfillment of these requirements sent directly from the issuing organization to Santa Monica College. 

Steps to provide the document from the issuing organization:

  1. Provide one of the following docum ents to Admissions & Records:
      • Official high school transcript showing a graduation date
      • GED score report​
      • CHSPE score report
      • HiSET score report
      • TASC score report

    We will not accept the CHSPE, HiSET, or TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion) certificate, or the GED diploma, without the score report. 

  2. Transcripts or score reports must be sent directly from the issuing organization (electronically or by mail) to:
  3. ​Santa Monica College
    Admissions & Records
    1900 Pico Boulevard
    Santa Monica, California 90405​​

Timeframe to Remove Hold

  1. You should ask the issuing organization how long they estimate it will take for the score report to arrive at Santa Monica College and then allow at least 2 additional business days after arrival for processing. 
  2. Then you should call or email the Admissions and Records Office at (310) 434-4380 or Transcripts@smc.edu to request that your "Under 18 Hold" be removed.


For additional questions, you may email Transcripts@smc.edu​ or call (310) 434-4380.

Homeschooled Students and Students from Non-Regionally Accredited High Schools​

​Homeschooled students and students who attended a non-regionally accredited high school who wish to demonstrate high school graduation equivalency must provide the following documents:

Required Documents​

      • Official high school transcript: Shows graduation date

      • Private ​School Affidavit​: Shows academic calendar year in which the student graduated.

Transcripts are subject to review for content to determine high school graduation equivalency at the discretion of Santa Monica College. Homeschooled students and students who attended a non-regionally accredited high school are strongly advised to take one of the above l​​​isted high school proficiency exams​ (GED, CHSPE, HiSET, or TASC) in order to demonstrate high school graduation equivalency.

Transcripts from non-regionally accredited high schools must be mailed directly by the issuing school to Santa Monica College Admissions and Records​.