Applying to SMC is Easy!

Follow the steps below to apply and enroll at SMC. Special instructions apply for Undocumented students. Please read carefully to expedite processing.

  1. Step 1

    Apply to SMC

    Create an OpenCCC account first. You will need a real email address. If you already have an OpenCCC account, just login.

    Create an OpenCCC account. You will need a real email address.

    Immigration status, regardless of DACA-eligibility, does not affect admission eligibility. Undocumented students may attend SMC and are encouraged to apply for a Nonresident Tuition Exemption if they qualify (see below). Under California and federal law, SMC does not disclose information to any agency or person without the consent of the student (except when compelled to do so through a Court-issued subpoena).

    Complete and submit your application.

    Check your email after you have applied. Your SMC ID number and two emails will be sent by Admissions & Records within the hour with further instructions (check junk mail if you did not receive it).

    Apply to SMC Today!

    Special Instructions for Application Questions

    A Social Security Number Is Not Needed to Apply

    Reporting a Social Security Number or Individual Tax Payer Identification Number on the application is optional. If you have received an SSN through DACA or you have an ITIN, you may report it. If you do not want to provide it, or do not have one, you will be asked to check a box at the bottom of the page labeled “Check this box if you do not have a Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number, or decline to provide one at this time.”

    Citizenship Question: Choose "Other"

    In the Citizenship/Military section of the application, choose “Other” from the drop-down menu and click the box labeled “No documents."

  2. Step 2

    Apply for Financial Aid and Nonresident Tuition Exemption

    Complete the California Dream Act Application (AB 540 students). The earlier you apply, the better.

    Submit a Nonresident Tuition Exemption to Admissions and Records, along with your California high school transcript. We will accept an unofficial transcript showing you are a high school graduate.

    If enrollment for the Summer or Fall terms starts before your June high school graduation, we will accept the Exemption form above if you meet the eligibility requirements. We will allow you to submit an unofficial transcript showing your high school progress to-date. This will allow you to temporarily postpone your fees and keep your classes (you won't be dropped for nonpayment). However, you must follow-up with an official transcript showing you graduated high school. This transcript must be received no later than September 15. Otherwise, you will owe the full nonresident tuition.​

  3. Step 3

    Complete Orientation, Placement, and Education Planning

    Once you have applied, you will get an email informing you if orientation, placement, and education planning are required. See a counselor to help select your classes.

  4. Step 4

    Enroll in Classes

    Finish your degree or certificate faster by enrolling in 12-15 units in Fall and Spring semesters.

    Review the Schedule of Classes and then enroll on your student portal, Corsair Connect.

Apply to SM C Today!

What is the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption

  • California Community College students who qualify for the Nonresident Tuition Exemption (previously referred to as AB540 Exemption) will be charged in-state enrollment fees—currently, $46 per unit, and not the supplemental tuition charged to nonresidents.
  • Criteria to qualify may be found on the Exemption form.

What is the California Dream Act?

  • The California Dream Act allows students enrolled at California colleges to apply for financial aid.

Admission Application Contact and Support

Technical Questions (24/7)

Admissions Questions