English & Math Placement Effective Summer/Fall 2019

Assembly Bill 705 requires Santa Monica College and other California community colleges to help students enroll in and complete transfer-level coursework in English and math within one year. If you are a student entering SMC in summer or fall 2019, testing and assessment are no longer required. You will be placed in English and math based on either your prior work or a guided self-placement, depending on when and where you completed your prior work, as shown below. [see below for ESL placement process ]

If you have completed the 11th grade or graduated high school in the U.S. in the last 10 years:

  • You will be placed using "multiple measures" consisting of high school GPA, courses, and grades reported on your CCCApply admission application.
  • You may check your placement once you have activated your Corsair Connect account. Just log in, click the "Placement" tab and review your placement. If you do not see the courses listed, some needed information from your admission application was missing some necessary information. Follow the instructions on the screen to generate your placement.

If you graduated high school in the U.S. over 10 Years ago or graduated high school in another country

  • You will be placed using “guided self-placement,” a set of online tools that help evaluate how prepared you are with the skills you are expected to have before starting a particular math or English class. To be guided to the best class for your needs, it is important that you read everything presented to you carefully, and that you answer honestly..
  • To access the guided self-placement tools, go to Corsair Connect. Then log in, click the “Placement” tab, and follow the instructions on the screen.
  • Plan on completing your math and English placements together. You may take each guided self-placement only one time.
  • Please note: The math self-placement presents six (6) options based on your area of study (major) or the course you are interested in taking. If you are not sure which option to choose, check with a counselor. You may take any of the math guided selfplacements only one time.

About English & Math Placement Courses

The purpose of Assembly Bill 705 is to help you enroll in and complete transfer-level classes in English and math within one year. 

For English, depending on your placement, you will start in one of two ways: (a) directly in English 1, a transfer level English course; (b) directly in ​English 1, paired with English 28,  a supporting course. In some instances, you may also be encouraged to take another reading or grammar supporting course. 

For math, depending on your placement, you will start in one of three ways: (a) directly in a transfer-level math course; (b) directly in a transfer level math course paired with one supporting course; or (c) one semester of an accelerated math course followed by one semester of transfer level math, either as a stand-alone course or paired with one supporting course. 

Visit the Math Department or English Department website for more information on the new course sequences.

English as a Second Language (ESL)

The ESL placement process remains the same for now. If you want to take credit ESL classes, you must complete the ESL assessment, which consists of ACCUPLACER Language Use, Reading Skills, and Sentence Meaning.

Visit the Assessment Center during our walk-in hours to complete your ESL assessment. No appointments are needed.

What if I Don't Complete the Placement Process?

If you are a first-time college student, the placement process is mandatory. You will not be able to enroll in your fall or spring classes until you complete this process. You are responsible for completing all steps of enrollment in a timely manner.