Skip to main content
Sign In
Santa Monica College|Enrollment Development|International Education Center|Foreign Coursework

Foreign Coursework

For Credit Towards Associate Degrees or Certificates

Students who have satisfactorily completed courses from a foreign nation’s appropriately accredited university may be able to apply course credits towards an Associate degree or Certificate at Santa Monica College. Students should consult a counselor BEFORE requesting to have credits evaluated to see if an evaluation is recommended. Foreign courses must be evaluated by an approved credential evaluation agency, and then reviewed by the Santa Monica College Admissions Office. Some courses also require approval by the department chair. If courses are approved, their credits will be transferred to Santa Monica College. Please note: Foreign coursework will NOT satisfy Associate degree general education requirements for Area II, Social Science, Group A (American History/Government) and for Are​a IV, Language and Rationality, Group A (English Composition)

To have foreign coursework credits evaluated, students should contact one ​of the approved credential evaluation agencies listed below and request a detailed equivalency report that indicates-for each course, its US semester unit equivalency, and the grade the student earned:

  • ACEI, Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. 310-275-3530,

  • AERC, American Education Research Corporation. 626-339-4404,

  • IERF, International Education Research Foundation. 310-258-9451,

  • APIE, Academic and Professional International Evaluations, Inc. 562-594-6498,

For further questions or concerns, please see a counselor at the International Education Counseling Center, or you may send an inquiry through

For Transfer Credit to a U.S. University

If your intention is to transfer foreign coursework to a four-year university, the transferability of courses will be determined by the transfer institution upon admission to the college or university. Foreign coursework may not be used for IGETC or the CSUGE general education patterns.