Housing & Roommate Information
Need to find a place to live while attending SMC?
Safe, comfortable, and convenient housing is essential to success in college. Although SMC does not have student housing, we are able to offer you the following local housing options and information.
Interested in receiving weekly housing/roommate updates via e-mail? Subscribe to our weekly update here
• Leases and rental contracts are legal documents!
• Tenant is responsible for the care and rent of the unit for the duration of the agreement
• Do not sign a lease or rental contract without reading and understanding it
• Make sure all damages are listed on the lease and initialed by landlord before moving in.
• It is acceptable to pay by cash, check, or money order but ALWAYS get a receipt.
AREAS IN THE SANTA MONICA VICINITY:
Neighborhood Miles away Zip
Brentwood 4.5 90049
Beverly Hills 7 90210/12
Pacific Palisades 6 90272
Marina Del Rey 6 90292/93
Culver City 7 90067
Palms 4 90034
Mar Vista 5 90066
Venice 3 90291
West L.A. 4 90025/64
Westwood 5 90024
Securing housing is a big responsibility, and it is important to be prepared for the task. The following steps will help you complete the process:
• Start the process at least a month in advance
• Open a local bank account
• Decide how much you can afford to pay
• Prepare to pay application fees, first and last month’s rent and security deposit
• Write down features that are important to you such as security, parking, laundry, pets, etc.
• Gather web, newspaper and other listings
• Call for availability and viewing appointment
• Inspect the properties carefully
• Fill out an application and be prepared to supply credit information and references
• Establish a move-in date
• Sign a lease or contract and get a copy.
ONCE YOU’VE FOUND THE RIGHT PLACE:
There are a few important steps to take before signing a lease. Ask these questions:
• What is the length of the lease?
• What are the policies on deposits and refunds?
• What does the security deposit cover?
• Who pays the utility bills?
• Is parking provided? Is there a fee?
• Who pays for trash removal?
• Who repairs and pays for wear and tear damage?
• What is the maximum occupancy?
Contact the local bus companies for route information, directions and maps to get to Santa Monica College.
REAL ESTATE & HOUSING SERVICES
Apartment and housing search websites:
The University Cooperative Housing Association (UCHA) provides reasonable-cost housing to qualified students, visiting scholars and faculty of UCLA and other nearby educational institutions.
ACCOMODATIONS IN SANTA MONICA
You may wish to stay in a hotelwhile you're arranging housing. Hotel prices vary according to season and availability. Please contact hotels directly for current pricing.
* Santa Monica College has no affiliation with nor makes any recommendation regarding any of the accommodations, nor endorses, inspects or supervises premises listed.