Securing housing is a big responsibility, and it is important to be prepared for the task. The following steps will help you complete the process:
• Start the process at least a month in advance
• Open a local bank account
• Decide how much you can afford to pay
• Prepare to pay application fees, first and last month’s rent and security deposit
• Write down features that are important to you such as security, parking, laundry, pets, etc.
• Gather web, newspaper and other listings
• Call for availability and viewing appointment
• Inspect the properties carefully
• Fill out an application and be prepared to supply credit information and references
• Establish a move-in date
• Sign a lease or contract and get a copy.
ONCE YOU’VE FOUND THE RIGHT PLACE:
There are a few important steps to take before signing a lease. Ask these questions:
• What is the length of the lease?
• What are the policies on deposits and refunds?
• What does the security deposit cover?
• Who pays the utility bills?
• Is parking provided? Is there a fee?
• Who pays for trash removal?
• Who repairs and pays for wear and tear damage?
• What is the maximum occupancy?