Housing & Commuting Guide
Need to find a place to live while attending SMC?
Safe, comfortable, and convenient housing is essential to success in college. Although SMC does not have student housing, please review the information on this page for local housing options and tips.
* Santa Monica College has no affiliation with nor makes any recommendation regarding any of the accommodations, nor endorses, inspects or supervises premises listed.
Subscribe to our Weekly E-mail list by following this link:
Please note that all housing submissions are valid for 4 weeks. If your listing requires more time on the housing newsletter, please re-submit the form.
Apply to the Housing Newsletter >>
- Leases and rental contracts are legal documents!
- Tenant is responsible for the care and rent of the unit for the duration of the agreement
- Do not sign a lease or rental contract without reading and understanding it
- Make sure all damages are listed on the lease and initialed by landlord before moving in.
- It is acceptable to pay by cash, check, or money order but
ALWAYS get a receipt.
AREAS IN THE SANTA MONICA VICINITY:
|Marina Del Rey||6||90292/93|
Securing housing is a big responsibility, and it is important to be prepared for the task. The following steps will help you complete the process:
- Start the process at least a month in advance
- Open a local bank account
- Decide how much you can afford to pay
- Prepare to pay application fees, first and last month’s rent and security deposit
- Write down features that are important to you such as security, parking, laundry, pets, etc.
- Gather web, newspaper and other listings
- Call for availability and viewing appointment
- Inspect the properties carefully
- Fill out an application and be prepared to supply credit information and references
- Establish a move-in date
- Sign a lease or contract and get a copy.
ONCE YOU’VE FOUND THE RIGHT PLACE:
There are a few important steps to take before signing a lease. Ask these questions:
- What is the length of the lease?
- What are the policies on deposits and refunds?
- What does the security deposit cover?
- Who pays the utility bills?
- Is parking provided? Is there a fee?
- Who pays for trash removal?
- Who repairs and pays for wear and tear damage?
- What is the maximum occupancy?
Santa Monica is one of the most transit-connected cities in L.A. Over 70% of our students get to campus without driving. They have chosen not to drive to campus because they know that a bus, train, carpool, bike or walking trip saves money and reduces the stress of traffic and searching for parking.
REAL ESTATE & HOUSING SERVICES
The following companies will assist students with housing information:
UCLA CO-OP HOUSING
Located six miles from SMC near the UCLA campus, the Co-op offers furnished rooms with utilities included. Each Co-op member must contribute four hours of chores per week. Nineteen meals per week are provided, and there are single, double, and triple rooms available.
500 Landfair Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90024
ACCOMODATIONS IN SANTA MONICA
You may wish to stay in a hotel or hostel while you are arranging housing. Hotel prices vary according to season and availability. Please contact hotels directly for current pricing. Some hotels in the area include:
Fairmont Miramar Hotel
Casa del Mar
Shutters on the Beach
Back to New Students Homepage