In 2013, the SMC Board of Trustees authorized a new annual scholarship to be awarded to a transferring student. The Chui L. Tsang Transfer Scholarship will provide $15,000 per year for two years to support the completion of the transfer student’s Bachelor’s degree. To facilitate the selection, a campus committee will recommend a number of nominees to Dr. Tsang, and he will make the final selection of the recipient. All SMC students transferring Fall 2014 are eligible.
To be considered for recommendation by the committee, a nominee must meet all of the following criteria:
- Meets a minimum 3.0 transfer GPA.
- Have completed all transfer requirements by the end of Spring 2014 and be accepted to an accredited college or university for Fall 2014.
- Have completed 24 or more transferable units at Santa Monica College.
- Nominated by a SMC staff person, faculty member or administrator. Staff and faculty submitting will need to include the name and student number of the nominee. The nomination should address the following prompt:
- Please describe the student's academic and personal journey, including, but not limited to, successes, failures, obstacles, challenges and accomplishments. Additionally, please describe how this scholarship will make the student's next two years of their personal and academic journey more successful.
- A maximum of 1,000 words is permitted.
- Upon submission of the form, you are asked to forward a link, provided on the form, to your student nominee for their personal statement in support of your nomination.
The nominees identified as finalists will need to furnish the following information to the committee:
Valid proof of admission to an accredited college or university for Fall 2014.
Demonstrated financial need via FAFSA, tax records or other means that can be verified by the nomination committee.
The nomination, and supporting documents, is due by Thursday, noon, May 15, 2014. The form can be found and submitted at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1iXwyQ1VpC2kPoGIYOR6jYBhgVXnNwxD27luyK8SGvjA/viewform.
The list of finalists will be forwarded by the committee to Dr. Tsang by June 1st. The 2014 Tsang Scholar will be announced in Mid-June.