Key Dates and Notes

To work as a student employee at SMC, you must have a valid Social Security Card with the correct spelling of your name. F-1 students will be given a form letter to request a SS card from the Social Security Office.

June 15, 2016

The Financial Aid Office will begin accepting employment applications for the 2016-2017 school year. Authorization for employment will begin on the first day of the academic year: July 1.

Continuing student employees must complete a new Application Contract, Student Sick Leave and Mandated Reporter Status Forms and the FERPA training, annually.

Students under Federal Work Study can work a maximum of 10 hours per week.

Student Employment at SMC

There are two sources of funding: Federal Work Study (FWS) and Student Help (SH). FWS allocations are part of a student's financial aid package. SH funds are part of a department's budget. The process for hiring students is essentially the same for both groups of student workers except for the student with FWS must show verification of funds awarded through FWS.

Hiring Process

Find a job with your qualifications at: Student Employment Opportunities (List of Available Jobs)

  • If you are applying for a FWS funded position you must show hiring department a copy of your FWS award letter.

  • Bring FWS award letter and completed Employment Contract/Application to the hiring department for them to complete the hiring section.

  • Complete the mandatory PowerPoint PresentationFERPA TRAINING

  • Complete the FERPA QUIZ

  • Complete the rest of the Student Employment forms along with the fingerprint procedure and bring all forms together to the Financial Aid Office.

  • You can begin work as soon as you receive notification from your hiring department that you are authorized to work.

Individual Student Employment Documents:

Payroll Schedule

Other Employment Info

For SMC students only: If you need to look for additional off-campus employment or internship opportunities, you will find jobs listed specifically for SMC students on the Career Services Center website.

You will need Adobe Reader to open and print the Job Opening Forms and Payroll Forms. If you do not have Adobe Reader, click this box to go to the Adobe website and download the free Adobe Reader software:

Download Adobe Acrobat