Key dates and notes
To work as a student employee at SMC, you must have a valid Social Security Card with the correct spelling of your name. F-1 students will be given a form letter to request a SS card from the Social Security Office.
June 15, 20145
The Financial Aid Office will begin accepting employment applications for the 2015-2016
school year. Authorization for employment will
begin on July 1.
Continuing student employees must complete the FERPA training and the Mandated Reporter Status Form annually and be included with a new Application/Contract.
STUDENT EMPLOYMENT AT SMC
To work as a student employee at Santa Monica College, you must have a valid Social Security Card with the correct spelling of your name. F-1 students will be given a form letter to request a SS card from the Social Security Office.
There are two sources of funding: Federal Work Study (FWS) and Student Help (SH).
Student Help is employment financed through the hiring department's budget. Students must be enrolled full time
(12 units) to work in the fall and spring semesters. Students have to be enrolled in 3 (or more) units to work in
the winter term. Students can also work under SH funding in winter without being enrolled in classes, if they were enrolled full-time in the previous fall semester and are enrolled full-time in the upcoming spring semester.
Federal Work Study:
FWS is employment financed with federal funds. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units) to work
in both fall and spring semesters. Students have to be enrolled in 3 (or more) units to work in the winter term. Students can also work under FWS funding in winter without being enrolled in classes, if they were enrolled half-time (6 units) in the previous Fall semester and are enrolled half-time in the upcoming spring semester.
- Find a job with your qualifications at: Student Employment Opportunities (List of Available Jobs)
- If you are applying for a FWS funded position you must show hiring department a copy of your FWS award letter.
- Bring FWS award letter and completed Employment Contract/Application to the hiring department for them to complete the hiring section.
- Complete the mandatory FERPA TRAINING
- Complete the FERPA QUIZ
- Complete the rest of the Student Employment forms along with the fingerprint procedure and bring all forms together to the Financial Aid Office.
- You can begin work as soon as you receive notification from your hiring department that you are authorized to work.
Student Employment Forms 2015-16:
Payroll Schedule: July 2015 through December 2015
January 2015 through June 2015
Student Employment Handbook
General Information and Procedures
Reading and Math Tutoring Program
For SMC students only: If you need to look for additional off-campus employment and/or internship opportunities, you will find jobs listed specifically for SMC students on the SMC CAREER SERVICES CENTER website.
Other Employment Info:
You will need Adobe Reader to open and print the Job Opening Forms and Payroll Forms. If you do not have Adobe Reader, click this box to go to the Adobe website and download the free Adobe Reader software: