SMC Global Citizenship is pleased to offer the following opportunity for faculty:
Integrating Global Issues into the Community College Curriculum
Saturday, May 14, 2016, 8:30 am – 5 pm
SMC Global Citizenship will fund up to seven full-time/part-time Faculty participants for a one day symposium Integrating Global Issues into the Community College Curriculum hosted by Stanford University on Saturday, May 14, 2016. While this opportunity is open to both PT and FT faculty, priority is for FT faculty. This full day symposium addresses the challenges and opportunities of incorporating global issues in to the community college classroom. The day will include presentations from Stanford faculty as well as Bay Area community college professors who have collaborated with Standford University as partners to integrate international topics into their curricula. Presentations will feature adapted lesson plans and course materials as well as strategies for reaching diverse student populations.
For additional detail, visit EPIC-stanford.stanford.edu for more details. Sample Featured Panels by faculty from Foothill College and College of San Mateo:
“Refugees and Identity”
“Integrating the Literary Transnational in Composition
“Internationalizing Biology Classes”
“Thinking about Diet: a workbook for anthropology”
“Improving Student Engagement in the Internationalization of
Sociology Curriculum at the College of San Mateo”
“Reframing Information Literacy Instruction from a Global
To apply for this opportunity, please read through all details below, complete the application (PDF) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is Friday, April 22, 2016.
SMC Global Citizenship will cover for the selected participants:
- Cost of RT economy/coach class (not economy comfort or premium economy) LAX to San Jose (Fly to San Jose on Friday, May 13 evening and return flight the evening of Saturday, May 14)
- Integrating Global Issues into the Community College Curricula on Saturday, May 14 (8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- One night single occupancy accommodation at the seminar conference location hotel (nights of either Friday, 5/13 or Saturday, 5/14). Details of hotels available after participant selection
- Up to $50 for shuttle for transfer to/from San Jose to Hotel near Stanford (TBD).
- Per Diem for meals not included in seminar (breakfast and lunch and afternoon reception included on seminar day)*
- Any expenses not included in the above are at the sole expense of the participant.
*Daily per diem for meals has an expenditure maximum, which will be reviewed with selected participants
Please do not complete any registration directly with Stanford Global Studies. Those selected will be advised of the next steps including registering with Stanford for this symposium.