When do we get paid?
- Part-time faculty – on the last day of each month or prior work day when the LDM is a weekend or holiday. Note: Payroll’s schedule is subject to change and can be found in the Publics Folder/Payroll of Outlook.
- Full-time faculty – on the first working day of each month over 10 or 12 months.
How is my salary and hourly rate determined?
- If you are a part-time instructor, Salary placement is based on your level of education only. If you are a full-time faculty member, salary placement is based on your level of education and by the number of years or teaching experience (or vocational experience if applicable) that you can verify. Administrators are placed at range 1, step 1 on the salary schedules unless approved for higher placement by the Superintendent/President. Substitutes will be placed at the appropriate place on the salary schedule.
How/When is my salary increased?
- Through the group advancement process, after being awarded higher educational degrees or earning additional units (effective beginning of fall semester). Please refer to the Faculty Handbook or Faculty Agreement for the criteria for these courses. All full-time faculty advance a step on the salary schedule effective July 1st each fiscal year as long as he/she has taught at least 75% of the school year until the maximum step is reached.
- In order to advance on the load factor 1.0 salary schedule, you must have completed 30 WTH in order to advance to the next salary step. Only the units taught during the Spring and Fall semesters count towards your step advancement. Group advancement is possible once you have completed courses directly related to your field of discipline. There are certain restrictions on the number of units and types of courses you are allowed to apply towards Group Advancement. Please refer to the Faculty Handbook or Faculty Agreement for the criteria for these courses.
- Part-time step increases occur on all other salary schedules based on the number of hours taught (see Faculty Agreement, Appendix D).
Can my paycheck be spread over 12 months rather than 10 months?
- Full-time faculty can opt for 12 month pay after their first year, effective fall term.
- 12-month pay is not available for part-time faculty.
How can I, as an Adjunct Faculty member, find out in which Group and Step I have been placed?
- At initial hiring, as part of the New Hire Orientation process, an Adjunct Faculty member will be presented with their initial Salary Placement drafted by a Human Resource Specialist after receipt of all necessary official transcripts and applicable certificates. The Salary Placement Worksheet is presented to the Dean, Human Resources for approval and signature. The new Adjunct Faculty member will be asked to review the Salary Placement Worksheet and counter-sign the document.
- Once the Adjunct Faculty member has been teaching at SMC for some time, Step movement shall take place in the semester or intersession following the Fall or Spring semester in which the total experience necessary for step movement has been completed. You may access the current Faculty Contract via the website: www.smcfa.org. Appendix(s) B-2 through B-4 may be applicable to your teaching or non-teaching position at SMC. You may also contact a Human Resources Specialist.
How does Part-time Faculty obtain Associate Faculty status?
- After 5 consecutive semesters of employment with the District, with an assignment of at least 5 LHE per week within a discipline for each of the 5 semesters, a part-time faculty member shall be designated as Associate Faculty” provided that he/she has not received less than a satisfactory evaluation during the qualifying 5 semesters (see Faculty Agreement, Article 6).
Why can’t I access my e-mail account?
- Written instructions were not followed correctly.
- Data in computer system is incomplete or inaccurate (check with Human Resources, 310.434.4415).
- Contact AccountServices@smc.edu for technical issues.
What do I do when I am eligible for benefits? And what happens if I fall below the hours requirements?
- In order to qualify for your choice of applicable benefits, Adjunct Faculty must meet several qualifications. Hourly faculty employees who have been employed by the College two (2) previous semesters within the last six (6) semesters, plus the current semester are eligible for benefits. Only the Fall and Spring semesters are counted for eligibility. If you have benefits in the Fall you will be carried through the Winter, whether or not you are teaching. Likewise, benefits in the Spring will continue through the Summer.
- Other eligibility requirements are that as of Monday of the third (3rd) week of the semester, you must have a teaching assignment of at least five (5) hours per week; or, as of Monday of the fifth (5th) week of the semester, you must have the equivalent of at least five (5) hours per week of a non-teaching assignment.
- In the event that during the college year a covered employee’s load drops below the number of hours stated in Section 10.5.1. of the current Faculty Contract, but is at least three (3) hours per week during that semester, the employee’s coverage shall continue through that college year, except in cases where the employee requests the reduction in load.
- Normally during the third week of the semester, Information Management issues a report listing all Adjunct Faculty having the requisite semesters and h ours to qualify for benefits. Once received, the Benefits Office will notify all eligible Adjunct Faculty through inter-office mail.
- If you have not received notification by the end of the third week, and you believe you are eligible, contact your department chair to confirm that your current assignment was input into the system prior to the report being run.
- When you receive your notice, please come to the Employee Benefits office at Human Resources, 2714 Pico Blvd., 2nd Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90405 for information packets and enrollment forms.
When do I receive benefits?
- This is explained thoroughly in the orientation meeting conducted by the HR Employee Benefits representative(s) for eligible employees (see Faculty Agreement, Article 10).
When can I get access to the computer network at school?
- Once you have completed new hire processing through the HR department and your semester course assignment has been entered in the ISIS system, you will be able to request a network/email account. Your network account lets you login to campus computers and access restricted SMC web pages. The same user name/password also accesses email if you request both.
Why can’t I access my class rosters?
- Once you have completed new hire processing through the HR department and your semester course assignment has been entered in the ISIS system, you will need to request a network/email account. Your network account lets you login to campus computers and access restricted SMC web pages.
The same user name/password also accesses email if you request both.
Can I get a copy of my Student Evaluations?
- You may retrieve your student evaluation results from the Faculty portal seven business days following the posting of grades. You may send a signed copy of the results to the Office of Human Resources to be included in your personnel file.