A Poem, Dance, and Loving the Planet
• Dance professors Jae Lee, Mark Tomasic, and
Judith Douglas are proud to report that they attended a ten-day intensive training and took exams to become…(drum roll)…
American Ballet Theater Certified Teachers!
• On June 5, campus counsel Bob Myers received the Chester Versteeg Outings Plaque from the
Angeles Chapter of the Sierra Club. The plaque represents the highest outings leadership award conferred by the Angeles Chapter, and is awarded to a Sierra Club member who has provided long-term and outstanding leadership in furthering the enjoyment and safety of the outings program.
• SMC Music Professor Brian Driscoll played the dedicatory recital for the newly-installed chapel organ at
Westminster Presbyterian Church in Boardman, Ohio. The eclectic program of shorter works for organ included pieces by
Buxtehude, Pachelbel, Langlais,
Vierne, Milhaud, Calvin Hampton,
Herbert Howells, and P.D.Q. Bach (Peter Schickele).
• Psychology professor Lisa Farwell has been busy writing, and presenting! She has co-written an article in the 2016 edition of the
Encyclopedia of Political Behavior on Attribution theory and political behavior. Lisa also presented a talk called
Protecting Civility in Academic Departments: Bystanders and Effective Action at the annual meeting of the
Western Psychological Association in Long Beach.
• Collaboration is an SMC thing—the kind that reaps dividends, and publication! Two Health Sciences professors,
Dr. Vini Angel and Dr. Marvin Friedman co-wrote an article which was published in
Nursing Education Perspectives.
• Associate professor Greg Schreiner will present his musical show
Hollywood Revisited (http://www.hollywoodrevisited.com/) on July 30 at the spectacular Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. For tickets, email
• Sociology instructor Elham Gheytanchi is the author of a chapter in the newly published
Information Politics, Protests, and Human Rights in the Digital Age (Cambridge University Press). The book is available on
• My Cousin Charles is the title of a poem by English Professor
Mario Padilla being published by UCLA's arts journal Westwind this September.
• Transfer Center counselor Dan Nannini was quoted in
an article about community colleges on the site
• Agents of Change, a powerful and award-winning documentary co-directed by
Frank Dawson, SMC Associate Dean for Career and Technical Education, is featured in
an article called
Black Studies Matter on MotherJones.com.
• The Sustainability Department is pleased to share
this quick video encapsulating everything that went into Earth Week 2016. The week included a free farmers market, DIY workshops, a movie screening, a speaker panel, a festival, and an eco-feminism conference.
• In honor of National Police Week, a unit citation ribbon was handed out for all the
Santa Monica College Police Department employees who assisted on June 7, 2013. It was a reminder of the department's vigilance in seeking to protect SMC.
* * *