WELCOME TO THE
SANTA MONICA COLLEGE
We are located in the Brown Bungalow behind the
Transfer Counseling Center
on the Pearl Side of campus.
NEW! NEW! NEW!
Please Check Out An Exciting
New Career Information Website:
Fall 2013 Office Hours:
The office is open Monday through Thursday from
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed for lunch from
12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
The office is closed on Fridays.
Fall 2013 Announcements:
- Please submit your Verification of Benefits form as soon as possible to the CalWORKs office. If you are enrolled in Fall 2013 classes, failure to submit this form will delay completion of childcare services paperwork, work study assignments, and the completion of GAIN paperwork such as progress reports and monthly attendance reports. If you do not have a Verification of Benefit form completed and on file with the CalWORKs office for the Fall 2013 semester , please stop by the CalWORKs office to pick one up. You may also download this form from our website (just click on "Documents"). IMPORTANT: Please note that this form is REQUIRED for our office and that is your responsibility to ensure that this form is completed. We appreciate your assistance!
- Please note that we will no longer take drop-in students after 4:30 p.m.
NOTE TO GAIN WORKERS and STUDENTS WHO ARE NEW
TO GAIN WITH GAIN PAPERWORK:
Please note that new GAIN students or GAIN workers must call in advance to make an appointment to have GAIN paperwork/contracts completed. We will not see a new student without a prior appointment . Please call 310-434-4082 to schedule an appointment.
Are you interested in adding work experience to your resume? Are you looking for additional money which is exempt from your cash aid? If so, then Work Study is for you! Please contact Jenny Trickey at 310-434-8526 for more information.
What Is CalWORKs?
The California Work Opportunities and Responsibilities to Kids Program (CalWORKs) at Santa Monica College works in colloboration with the Department of Social Services (DPSS) and the Greater Avenues to Independence Program (GAIN) to assist students who receive Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) as a means of public assistance.
CalWORKs Benefits Include:
- Individual academic counseling
- Employment assistance- including work-study assignments, resume writing, job search skills, and interview preparation
- Assistance with child care
- Coordination with the Department of Social Services (DPSS)- including completing SIP/Referral forms, progress reports, educational plans, training verifications, and book and supply requests
- Book account for non-GAIN participants (limited)
- CalWORKs Book Loan Library
To Be Eligible For CalWORKs:
- Students must receive or qualify to receive cash aid
- Make an appointment to meet with a CalWORKs counselor
- Bring proof of cash aid benefits to their appointment with the CalWORKs counselor
- Submit a Verification of Benefits form each semester (form may be obtained from the SMC CalWORKs office or via our website and must be completed each semester by each student's eligibility worker)
For more information or to make an appointment, please click here.