Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Santa Monica College|Student Services|CalWORKs

Welcome to CalWORKs

cw logo 3.jpg 


* SPRING 2016*








We are located in the small brown bungalow behind the


Transfer Counseling Center on Pearl Street.


SPRING 2016 Office Hours: (February 16 to June 14, 2016)


Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


The office is closed every Friday.​


The office is closed daily for lunch from 12:30 p.m. -1:00 p.m


               ***The CalWORKs Office will be closed April 11 thru April 15 for Spring Break***



Please note that we will no longer take drop-in students after 4:30 p.m.



What Is CalWORKs?
The California Work Opportunities and Responsibilities to Kids Program (CalWORKs) at Santa Monica College works in collaboration​ with the Department of Social Services (DPSS) and the Greater Avenues to Independence Program (GAIN) to assist students who receive Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) as a means of public assistance.

Additional Assistance Includes:
  • Individual academic counseling
  • Employment assistance- including work-study assignments, resume writing, job search skills, and interview preparation
  • Childcare referrals and assistance
  • Coordination with the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS)- including completing SIP/Referral forms, progress reports, educational plans, training verifications, and book and supply requests


To Be Eligible For SMC CalWORKs Services:
  • Students must currently receive cash aid for themselves and their dependent child/children.
  • Make an appointment to meet with a CalWORKs counselor.
  • Submit a Verification of Benefits Form.doc (form may be obtained from the SMC CalWORKs office or via our website. It may also be obtained by requesting a print out from your DPSS office. An official DPSS office stamp must be on your Verification of Benefits form to be accepted)
  • Students must provide a Verification of Benefits form each semester.


  Click here for events and important reminders. 

SPRING 2016 Announcements:
Current CalWORKs Students
  • Please submit your Verification of Benefits form as soon as possible to the CalWORKs office. If you are enrolled in SPRING 2016 classes, failure to submit this form will delay completion of childcare services paperwork, work study assignments, and the completion of GAIN paperwork such as progress reports and monthly attendance reports.


  • If you do not have a Verification of Benefits form completed and on file with the CalWORKs office for the SPRING 2016 semester, please stop by the CalWORKs office to pick one up.  You may also download this form from our website (just click on "Documents"). You may also request an Enhanced Verification of Benefits print out directly from your DPSS office by visiting the service window.


  •  IMPORTANT: Please note that this form is REQUIRED for our office and that it is your responsibility to ensure that this form is completed and has the DPSS office official stamp.



Please note that new GAIN students or GAIN workers must call in advance to make an appointment to have GAIN paperwork/contracts completed. 


We will not see a new student/participant without a prior appointment.


Please call 310-434-4082 to schedule an appointment.






Are you interested in adding work experience to your resume? Are you looking for additional money which is exempt from your cash aid? If so, then Work Study is for you! 


Please contact Christina Fuller at 310-434-4082 for more information.  











For more information or to make an appointment, please click here.