WELCOME TO THE SANTA MONICA COLLEGE
We are located in the small brown bungalow behind the
Transfer Counseling Center on Pearl Street.
Monday-Thursday 8am - 5pm
Friday (please call for available appointment dates)
We are closed daily from 12:30pm to 1:00pm for lunch
*Please note that we do not take drop-in students after 4:30 p.m. *
What Is CalWORKs?
The California Work Opportunities and Responsibilities to Kids Program (CalWORKs
) at Santa Monica College works in collaboration with the Department of Social Services (DPSS
) and the Greater Avenues to Independence Program (GAIN
) to assist students who receive Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF
) as a means of public assistance.
Additional assistance Includes:
- Individual academic and career counseling
- Employment assistance: including work-study assignments, resume writing, job search skills, and interview preparation
- Childcare referrals and assistance
- Coordination with the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS): including completing SIP/Referral forms, progress reports, educational plans, training verifications, and book and supply requests
To Be Eligible For SMC CalWORKs Services:
- Students must currently receive cash aid for themselves and their dependent child/children.
- Make an appointment to meet with a CalWORKs counselor.
- Submit a Verification of Benefits Form.doc (form may be obtained from the SMC CalWORKs office or via our website. It may also be obtained by requesting a print out from your DPSS office. An official DPSS office stamp must be on your Verification of Benefits form to be accepted).
- Students must provide a Verification of Benefits form each semester.
Current CalWORKs Students
- Please submit your Verification of Benefits form as soon as possible to the CalWORKs office. If you are enrolled in FALL 2016 classes, failure to submit this form will delay completion of childcare services paperwork, work study assignments, and the completion of GAIN paperwork such as progress reports and monthly attendance reports.
- If you do not have a Verification of Benefits form completed and on file with the CalWORKs office for the FALL 2016 semester, please stop by the CalWORKs office to pick one up. You may also download this form from our website (just click on "Documents"). You may also request an Enhanced Verification of Benefits print out directly from your DPSS office by visiting the service window.
**NOTE TO GAIN WORKERS and STUDENTS WHO ARE NEW**
Please note that new GAIN students or GAIN workers must call in advance to make an appointment to have GAIN paperwork/contracts completed.
We will not see a new student/participant without a prior appointment.
Please call (310) 434-4082 to schedule an appointment.
Are you interested in adding work experience to your resume? Are you looking for additional money which is exempt from your cash aid? If so, then Work Study is for you! Applications are being accepted now. Please contact Jenny Trickey at (310) 434-8526 for more information.