The Internship Program is available to continuing SMC students.
A continuing student is one who has enrolled and completed a minimum of 6 units during the previous fall/spring semester.
We can help you find an internship! For continuing Santa Monica College students, find an internship that you would like to do. If you need help finding one, come meet with us. We have ideas to help you find a great internship! See drop-in times below.
Drop-In Times for the Internship Program
You may drop by to speak to the Internship Program staff during drop-in times:
Mondays: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesdays/Thursdays: 10 a.m. - noon
Wednesdays: 3 - 4:30 p.m.
Or, you may call 310-434-4337 for an appointment (ask for Lisa). We are located in the Counseling Village, just east of the bicycle park on Pearl Street.
Steps to Enroll
If you already have an internship and are a continuing student, follow these steps:
- Attend an Internship Orientation (see Orientation Schedule). You are only required to attend one Orientation, so if you have attended a previous semester, you need not attend again.
- Write a Rough Draft of Your Learning Objectives. Once you have attended the Internship Orientation, you will be asked to write learning objectives in a format that will be presented in the meeting. You will also be asked to fill out Form 3, the Learning Contract. Instructions will be provided regarding that form.
- Fill out Application Forms 1 and 2. Application Forms 1, 2, & 3 are available on this website, or you may also pick up hard copies at the Career Services Center Office in the Counseling Village. Make sure to fill out the employer information section carefully and completely, including an e-mail address.
- Enroll. Turn in Forms 1, 2, and the original of Form 3 to the Internship Program Office during drop-in hours(or by appointment). Obtain an Approval Code or enrollment slip, then enroll online or at Admissions & Records. You will be required to show Admissions & Records staff a copy of the Form 1 Application.
- Now that you are enrolled... Once you have paid for the class and received the printout of your schedule, you are enrolled. However, class does not start until the date the semester begins. You may start working at the internship earlier if you employer agrees to take responsibility for you.
- Proof of Enrollment Letter. If you need a letter for your employer regarding the internship, you may call the Internship Program staff at 310-434-4337, and ask us to email the proof of enrollment letter to your employer. You may also come to the Internship Program office at the Career Services Center during drop-in hours to get the letter once you are enrolled. The Career Services Center is in the Counseling Village which is located east of the Bike Park on Pearl Street.
- The internship class does not require any actual class attendance, other than the Internship Orientation. Class time is spent at your internship site. You will be asked to complete online class assignments using E-Companion. Students are required to work a minimum number of hours to receive college credit.
- The main class requirements will be to complete the three learning objectives, fulfill online class assignments (E-Companion), and keep track of internship work hours. See Program Information & Hours for further details.