SMC Gateway to Persistence and Success (GPS) is SMC's new Early Alert system to support student success and retention in the classroom. You are encouraged to attend a training session or watch the 5-minute video above. Please note that we have re-branded Starfish to be called SMC GPS and the appointment system will be launched at a later date.
Instructors can use this retention tool with these key support and retention actions:
Kudos provide a student with positive reinforcement and encouragement a student. Kudos stay active on a student's profile for the remainder of the academic year.
Flags are both raised and closed by the instructor. These tracking items facilitate conversation between the student and the instructor. This lets students know instructors would like to see them.
Referrals Flags alert a service area when a student needs more support. These items are raised by the instructor and closed by either the service area or the instructor. Instructors and counselors would reach out to students with flags. It is up to the student to reach out to tutoring services.
For more information, view the
Instructional Faculty Handbook.
How to Access SMC GPS
Faculty participating in the GPS pilot courses can log in using their SMC username and password.
The full implementation of SMC's GPS system will begin in Fall 2020.
Login to SMC GPS
Enter your SMC username and password. The username and password are the same as your Corsair Connect login.
Set Up Profile
- To update your information, click on your name to open your profile.
- Add a photo. Note: Faculty and counselors can see your photo.
- Add contact information.
- Set calendar availabilities.
- Set and request personal email address notifications.
- Access text alerts.
- Set email reminder preferences.
For more information, view
Faculty and Staff Demo Series - Updating Your Profile.
Set Up Office Hours
- The first time you use GPS, you can set up office hours.
- You can modify your office hours at any time through the Appointments top-level navigation in Starfish.
Note: Appointments are currently disabled. Your office hours are posted for informational purposes only.
For more information, view Faculty and Staff Demo Series - Updating your Office Hours Share Details.
Respond to Progress Surveys
- Progress Surveys enable instructors and teaching assistants to provide feedback for students at once at key points in the term.
- Each survey is a collection of tracking items (Flags, Kudos, and Referrals) that instructors can select and comment on for students in each of their course sections.
- Instructors are notified by email when surveys require their input, and links to available surveys are presented to the instructors when they login to Starfish.
For more information, view Respond to Progress Surveys.
Clear Flags or Referrals
A flag or referral was raised, what do we do now? Once the issue is resolved, you will need to "Close the Loop" to ensure that everyone involved knows that the issue has been taken care of.
SMC GPS makes it easy for the user to document a solution, clear the flag, and communicate the resolution to the instructor with one easy step using the close the loop feature. Clearing a flag may happen when the student discusses the matter with flag raiser or referral contact and has a plan to get back on track.
Close the Loop
Instructor Managed Flags are both raised and closed by the instructor in a given course. These tracking items are designed to facilitate conversation between the student and the instructor. Students will be notified to go speak with their instructor.
Referrals Flags are designed to alert a service area when a student needs additional support. These items are raised by the instructor and closed by either the service area or the instructor. Students will be notified that they need to speak with Counseling or Tutoring.
For more information, view Faculty and Staff Demo Series - Closing the Loop and Clearing Flags.
Student Homework Assignment
Getting Started with SMC GPS
As you know, in [CLASS], we will use an exciting new software tool called SMC GPS, or SMC Gateway to Persistence and Success. The purpose of SMC GPS is to connect you with your professors, like me, and with counselors and support staff so that we can be your just-in-time support network. Your success in class matters to me and my colleagues at SMC, so let's start building your network! Think of this assignment as the first step in that process.
Assignment Objective: To help you get to know SMC GPS
Here are the steps to completing this assignment:
- Log in to SMC GPS using your regular SMC ID and password
- Update your SMC GPS profile
- Click on the three-bar menu in the upper left corner:
- Click on the down arrow next to your name
- Click on "Profile" to edit your profile
- You can upload a photo, add biographical information, modify or add contact information, and change email notifications
- Finally, Raise Your Hand so that I can see you have updated your profile
- In the three-bar menu, select "Raise Your Hand"
- Select the "I've logged into GPS!!!" flag.
Once you have raised your hand in SMC GPS, you are done!
By completing this assignment, you will earn [? points]-Optional