Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
SMC|Student Services|Disability Resources|How to Request Alternate Media

How to Request Alternate Media

Steps for students who want large print or electronic versions of their textbooks (e-texts):

  1. Meet with a DSPS Counselor or LD Specialist as soon as you know which courses you will be taking. If you are eligible for this service, he/she will fill out a green Authorization for Alternate Media form.

  2. List your textbook information completely on the back of the Authorization form or attach a list. The print-out from the SMC bookstore Website is acceptable. Text information must include the title of the book, author, publisher, edition, and ISBN #. You must also provide the course name and instructor for whom the text is required.
    If you know you prefer digital talking books from Learning Ally, add the Learning Ally information to the back of the Authorization form or print the information from the Learning Ally web site.
  3. You must enroll in the course for which you are requesting alternate formats.
    Notify a HTTC faculty member or the Alternate Media Specialist immediately if you drop the course, or add a course.
  4. Turn in your completed form to Ellen Cutler or Tom Peters in the High Tech Center, who will set up a meeting with you to review the software you might use. If textbooks have not been assigned and it is less than one month before classes begin, turn in your form anyway and inform us of texts needed as soon as they are known.
  5. Save a copy of your book receipt(s) to show proof of purchase when you pick up your e-text. You must own a physical copy of the textbook, or other course material, before alternative formats will be provided. Receipts are not required for Learning Ally books.
  6. It can take several weeks to receive electronic texts from the publisher. Depending on the quality of the file from the publisher and the format you request, it can take even longer to prepare the file for you. We will make every effort to complete the request in a timely manner.
  7. If you have not received your e-text, and classes have started, and several weeks have passed since your request, contact the Alternate Media Specialist Aaron French (310)-434-8934.
    a) If the e-text has arrived, but needs a lot of preparation, we will request that you provide a copy of your syllabus and/or textbook to help us prepare the files; we will try to give you individual chapters as you need them.
    b). If you need the material before we receive the files from the publisher, or if the files are unavailable from the publisher, you will need to provide us with your textbook so we can scan it. We will cut off the binding of the book (which will be rebound with a spiral binding later) in order to create the electronic text for you. We will need a syllabus and may only be able to give you a chapter at a time. SMC will not be held responsible for any damages that may occur to the material as a result of converting the material to an alternative format.
  8. A High Tech Center faculty member will call you when your e-text is ready .
  9. Alternate media is usually provided to you on a CD. The material in the files we provide is copyrighted. You may not share, distribute or reproduce it in any other format other than for your use. Any further reproduction or distribution is an infringement of Copyright Law Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 121.
  10. When you pick up your alternate media, you will be expected to bring your receipt(s) (if borrowing e-text) and sign an agreement confirming you are enrolled in the class, you will return the alternate media and related equipment, and you will not share it. Failure to abide by those requirements may constitute a violation of the Student code of Conduct or of the college policy regarding responsible use of Disabled Student Services and could result in disciplinary action.
  11. Let the High Tech Center faculty or the Alternate Media Specialist know immediately if you have any problems with the files you receive or the technology you use to access the files.
  12. You must return the alternate media and any related equipment to DSPS at the end of the semester. You may request to keep an e-text as long as you own a copy of the original material. If you sell your original textbook, you must return the alternate media to DSPS.


College Publications

Upon request, Santa Monica College can also provide alternate-format versions of the college catalogue, announcements about cultural or recreational events sponsored by the college or other information produced by the college. To request a college publication in alternate format send an e-mail to