Santa Monica College became the first California Community College to formally adopt an Honor Code. Faculty, students, and administrators are committed to uphold an environment conducive to learning characterized by academic integrity.
- Honor Code Mission Statement
Santa Monica College is committed to the academic, social, and ethical development of our students. We strive to create a learning environment that is challenging and supportive of the community at-large. We are committed to upholding fundamental values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, responsibility, civility, and community. In recognition of this effort we hereby establish this Honor Code and Honor Council.
- Honor Code Principles
General principles guiding the Honor Code and Honor Council include the following:
- Honesty: means fairness and straightforwardness of conduct; implies a refusal to lie, steal, or deceive in any way.
- Integrity: implies that one is true to a trust; one adheres to a code of moral values.
- Social Responsibility: is demonstrated by adherence to policies of the institution, departments, labs, libraries and individual classes.
- Respect and Civility: implies that one will conduct oneself in a courteous and respectful manner in our communications and actions toward members of the campus community.
- Student Honor Statement
As testament to their commitment and readiness to join the Santa Monica College academic community, all students are expected to uphold the Honor Code. At the time of admission students will certify the following statement:
In the pursuit of the high ideals and rigorous standards of academic life, I commit myself to respect and uphold the Santa Monica College Honor Code, Code of Academic Conduct, and Student Conduct Code. I will conduct myself honorably as a responsible member of the SMC community in all endeavors I pursue.
At the direction of a faculty member or testing officer, students may be requested to affirm or re-affirm their commitment to the Honor Code as they participate in any given examination, paper submission, or any other academic exercise.AR 4412 Honor Code/Honor Council