The Latino Center was established in 1983, and is a counseling center dedicated to promoting the academic and personal growth of Latino students through intentional use of counselors' relevant cultural knowledge and experience to address students' needs. It supports SMC's mission to "[provide] a safe, inclusive, and dynamic learning environment that encourages personal and intellectual exploration − one that challenges and supports students in achieving their educational goals. "
The Latino Center offers students a network of faculty, staff, peers, and services:
- English/Spanish bilingual counselors and staff
- Academic, vocational, financial aid and personal counseling
- Counselor participation in departmental and/or institutional committees and initiatives that support equity and student success
- Adelante—a support program with an instructional component
- Adelante Student Club
- Career Counselor (Adelante students)
- Psychologist (Adelante students)
- Book vouchers (Adelante students)
- Math and English tutoring (Adelante students)
- Workshops on a variety of topics, including those culturally relevant to the Latino community
- Academic and cultural events
- Speakers who can address issues that concern Latino students
- Classroom presentations as requested by classroom faculty
- Maintaining a student file system for Adelante students
Student Services Center (SSC) 2nd Floor:
1900 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Monday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.