Step 1: Police Department Review
Within 21 calendar days of issuance of a citation, pick up an Adminstrative Review Form in person at the Santa Monica College Police and Safety Services Department located at 1718 Pearl Street, and mail completed form to Parking citation Service Center. After the appeal form is received, an Administrative Review Officer will review the appeal and decide whether to uphold or dismiss the citation. The reviewing officer will make a determination as to its outcome by rendering one of the following decisions:
- The citation was determined to be invalid and will be dismissed. You will receive written correspondence from Santa Monica College Police Department confirming the dismissal of your parking citation.
- The citation was determined to be valid and payment must be submitted in full. You will receive written correspondence from Santa Monica College Police Department, typically within ten (10) business days, notifying you of the decision and advising you that the citation must be paid or appealed through the next step.
If your initial appeal is denied, you may set an appointment to meet with the Santa Monica College Hearing Officer. The hearing must be requested within 21 days from the mailing of the officer's decision regarding the initial appeal.
Step 2: Hearing Officer
For individuals whose appeals are upheld, a second level of appeal with the Dean of Judical Affairs, who performs the role of 'Hearing Officer' may be requested. This will be your opportunity to meet with the reviewer and state the nature of your appeal. During this time, you may submit any additional documentation or information pertaining to your case. If you cannot be present on the appointment date, your initial written appeal will be forwarded to the 'Hearing Officer' who will review your case and make their decision to either uphold or dismiss the citation.
The SMC Police Department will provide the 'Hearing Officer' with all relevant information associated with your case. Information provided may contain the following items:
- Copy of the citation you were issued.
- All correspondence that Santa Monica College Police Department has on file that you submitted.
- Investigation results that were conducted associated with your citation.
- Correspondence and notices that were sent to you by Santa Monica College Police Department and/or the Parking Citation Center.
The 'Hearing Officer' will review all information, and listen to your explanation as to why you feel the parking citation should be dismissed. The 'Hearing Officer' will end the hearing once he/she has enough information to render a decision. The 'Hearing Officer' will render one of the following decisions:
- The parking citation is upheld; citation must be paid in full or appealed through the next step.
- The citation is dismissed, no fees are due.
- Reduction of fees.
You will then receive written correspondence from Santa Monica College Police Department regarding their decision. If resolution cannot be reached at this level, the third level of appeal to the Superior Court of Santa Monica can be requested.
Step 3: Court
If you are not satisfied with the decision of the 'Hearing Officer', per CVC 402115, you may file a civil claim against Santa Monica College and further contest the parking citation by appeal through Superior Court. You cannot appeal a parking citation if you have not first obtained the results from both, your initial officer appeal and 'Hearing Officer' appeal. Both must be performed before you can appeal the parking citation. To file for an appeal, you must do so in person at the Santa Monica Superior Court, located at 1725 Main Street which has jurisdiction over all parking and traffic violations in the Santa Monica Community College District.