Students with no college coursework or less than 12 units completed.
- Must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 grade point average in high school
- Must be eligible to take English 1 ("A" group on the English Assessment, or "3" on either of the Advanced Placement English exams)
- Students with foreign records must complete 12 college units at a U.S. institution before applying
Continuing/Returning Student Eligibility
Students with at least 12 but less than 30 UC transferable units. Note that the Program/contracts may not work for students who have 30+ units completed. Students planning to apply this November (2014) for UC fall 2015 admission are not good candidates for the Scholars Program because they will not meet the Scholars certification requirements by the time they must submit their UC application.
- Must have a 3.0 overall college GPA (includes all colleges attended)
- Must be eligible for English 1 or have passed Freshman Composition at SMC or another college
In order to receive the certification from Santa Monica College students must complete the following:
- Complete a minimum of 15 units in Scholars courses. These courses must be completed/in progress by the end of the semester you are applying to transfer
- At least three (3) Scholars courses must be completed at SMC
- Only Honors/Scholars courses taken at TAP partner schools (www.ugeducation.ucla.edu/tap/schools.htm) may be used for certification purposes and they must be designated as "Honors" on the transcript of record from that institution
- Meet with a Scholars counselor once a semester
- Maintain membership in the Scholars Program for a minimum of 2 semesters. (Students should minimally be in their second semester of attendance in the Scholars Program by the time they are applying to transfer)