Student Discipline Referral
Reporting a Disciplinary Issue
Consistent with college policy, all students enrolling at SMC assume an obligation to conduct themselves in a manner compatible with the college's function as an educational institution. Misconduct or "good cause" for which students are subject to disciplinary proceedings (per AR4410) may be reported to the office of Student Judicial Affairs. We ask that faculty observe the following procedures when reporting a discipline incident:
- Inform the student of the nature of the alleged violation and the impending course of action. Notify the student in writing whenever possible.
- Submit a Student Discipline Referral report online (below) to Student Judicial Affairs. Upon review of your notification and supportive documentation, the Campus Disciplinarian will contact the student in writing and inform him/her of the allegations made, and any imposed sanctions.
- Depending on the nature of the violation, students may be required to meet with the Disciplinarian. The Disciplinarian may also confer with the faculty/staff member, or other individuals to address the concern. Given the nature of the violation, some students may face sanctions ranging from a verbal or written reprimand to suspension or expulsion proceedings.
- Per college policy, students have a right to due process and may appeal instructor/staff and Disciplinarian imposed sanctions. Students must appeal said sanctions within two (2) school days upon receipt of SJA written reprimand. Appeals must be filed through the office of Student Judicial Affairs and will be directed to the Student Conduct Appeals Committee.
- A disciplinary file will be created and maintained for a period of three (3) years provided there are no further acts of misconduct.
Please be sure to provide all information requested, including an account of the incident in question. Be sure to attach any relevant documentation as well.
Note: Student ID Number is required: In order to ensure we are contacting the correct student, the SMC student ID number is REQUIRED. If you are reporting a student who is not enrolled in your class and do not have the ID number, you may submit the referral below and type "0" (zero) as an ID. Be sure you specify in the reason for referral box why an ID number is not available, please. Without an ID number we may not be able to initiate adjudication procedures.