Transfer requirements to enter California State University, Long Beach
First: Start completing "The Golden Four" as soon as you can. Complete one course in each of the four areas below:
- English 1
- Business 32; English 2, 31; History 37; Philosophy 7
- Communication Studies 11 (formerly Speech 1), 12 (formerly Speech 2), 16 (formerly Speech 6), 21 (formerly Speech 11); Speech 5 (satisfies requirement if completed Fall 2010 through Summer 2012)
- CS 10 (same as Math 10); Math 2, 7, 8, 10 (same as CS 10), 11, 13, 15, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 28 (formerly 23), 29 (formerly 24), 52, 54
Second: Complete 60 transferable semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA. The GPA for admission can be significantly higher because of the major, campus, and/or applicant pool.
Important: The first and second steps above must be completed by the end of Spring for Fall admission and by the end of Summer for Spring admission.
Third: Complete coursework in the major along with your general education (GE) requirements. To satisfy GE, you have two choices: IGETC or CSU GE. Talk to a counselor to determine which is the best option for you.
Fourth: Apply on time! All California State Universities begin accepting applications October 1st for the following Fall. The sooner you apply, the better your chances are for admission. Some campuses are open for transfer in Spring. Check and apply online at www.csumentor.edu.
Click here to see if Long Beach State offers the major you're interested in. After following this link return to this page to find out which SMC courses you need to complete by either looking at:
Additional Transfer Tidbits
Long Beach has several impacted majors. When a major is impacted, there are additional requirements that need to be completed for maximum consideration for admission. Please see the list below and contact the department for supplemental admission criteria.
- Art, option in Graphic Design (562) 985-4376
- Film and Electronic Arts (562) 985-5404
- Health Science, option in Radiation Therapy (562) 985-5216
- Kinesiology and Physical Education, options on Athletic Trainings, Exercise Science, Kinesiotherapy, Fitness (562) 985-4051
- Nursing (562) 985-4463
- Psychology (562) 985-5680
- Social Work (562) 985-5427
Caution: Some CSU campuses have impacted majors which require you to complete specific coursework, submit your application during the priority filing period, and have higher GPA to get admitted.