Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Santa Monica College|Student Services|Transfer Services|UC Riverside

UC Riverside

Transfer requirements to enter the University of California at Riverside

  • Complete two transferable English composition courses.

  • Complete one transferable math course.

  • Complete 4 courses from 2 of the following 3 areas:

    • Arts/Humanities

    • Social/Behavioral Sciences

    • Physical/Biological Sciences

  • Complete 60 UC Transferable semester units.

  • A minimum 2.4 GPA (2.8 for International applicants).

  • Complete as much coursework in the major as you can (priority is given to students that complete the most coursework in the major).

  • Complete either the IGETC or the lower-division skills breadth requirements in reading and composition, quantitative reasoning, and foreign language.

  • Complete the requirements above by Spring prior to Fall admission.

  • Apply in November for Fall admission.

Click here to see if UC Riverside offers the major you're interested in. After following this link return to this page to find out which SMC courses you need to complete by either looking at:

A printed publication that will facilitate the transfer process is "The Nannini Guide: Navigating Your Successful Transfer to the University of California" by Daniel L. Nannini, Transfer Center Coordinator at Santa Monica College. This book is available at the SMC Bookstore and

Additional Transfer Tidbits

Business Administration

Applicants need a 2.5 GPA and 7 of the 10 lower-division major requirements for admission. Students that don't meet this criteria should still apply, and could be admitted into Business "Preparation" status, and complete their remaining requirements at UCR.

College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences

All majors (Biochemistry, Biology, Biological Sciences, Botany and Plant Sciences, Chemistry, Conservation Biology, Geography, Geology, Geophysics, Entomology, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, Statistics) need a 2.7 GPA. The highlighted majors require specific lower-division major requirements completed prior to admission. Please consult ASSIST for appropriate lower-division major requirements. If these requirements are not completed, a student could still transfer as an undeclared science major.

College of Engineering

Please consult ASSIST for appropriate lower-division major requirements.‚Äč