Transfer requirements to enter the University of California at Riverside
- Complete two transferable English composition courses.
- Complete one transferable math course.
- Complete 4 courses from 2 of the following 3 areas:
Arts and Humanities
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Complete 60 UC Transferable semester units.
- A minimum 2.4 GPA (2.8 for International applicants).
- Complete as much coursework in the major as you can (priority is given to students that complete the most coursework in the major).
- Complete either the IGETC or the lower-division skills breadth requirements in reading and composition, quantitative reasoning, and foreign language.
- Complete the requirements above by Spring prior to Fall admission.
- Apply in November for Fall, July for Winter, and October for Spring. At UC Riverside, applications for some majors are accepted beyond the times described above, so call 909-787-5307 for that information.
Click here to see if UC Riverside offers the major you're interested in? After following this link return to this page to find out which SMC courses you need to complete by either looking at:
There are two printed publications that will facilitate the transfer process. One is called "Answers for Transfers" published by the University of California. The other publication is called "The Nannini Guide: Navigating Your Successful Transfer to the University of California" by Daniel L. Nannini, Transfer Center Coordinator at Santa Monica College. This book is available at the SMC Bookstore, at www.amazon.com or at www.transfertouc.com.
ADDITIONAL TRANSFER TIDBITS
The following majors only accept in the Fall, not in Winter or Spring:
- All Engineering Majors
- Biology and Biological Science (accepts in Winter, not Spring)
UCR accepts freshman and sophomore transfers, if the were UC eligible from high school and are in good academic standing at the college they are currently attending. This option is not available to Engineering majors.
Applicants need a 2.5 GPA and 7 of the 10 lower-division major requirements for admission. Students that don't meet this criteria should still apply, and could be admitted into Business "Preparation" status, and complete their remaining requirements at UCR.
College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
All majors (Biochemistry, Biology, Biological Sciences, Botany and Plant Sciences, Chemistry, Conservation Biology, Geography, Geology, Geophysics, Entomology, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, Statistics) need a 2.7 GPA. The highlighted majors require specific lower-division major requirements completed prior to admission. Please consult ASSIST for appropriate lower-division major requirements. If these requirements are not completed, a student could still transfer as an undeclared science major.
College of Engineering
Please consult ASSIST for appropriate lower-division major requirements.
For additional information on transfer to UCR, click here.