Transfer requirements to enter the University of California at Santa Barbara
- Complete two transferable English composition courses.
- Complete one transferable math course.
- Complete 4 courses from 2 of the following 3 areas:
- Social/Behavioral Sciences
- Physical/Biological Sciences
- Complete 60 UC Transferable semester units by Spring prior to Fall admission and by Summer prior to Winter admission.
- A minimum 2.4 GPA (2.8 for International applicants).
- Complete as much coursework in the major as you can (priority is given to students that complete the most coursework in the major).
- Complete either the IGETC or the lower-division skills breadth requirements in reading and composition, quantitative reasoning, and foreign language.
- Apply in November for the following Fall.
Click here to see if UC Santa Barbara offers the major you're interested in? After following this link return to this page to find out which SMC courses you need to complete by either looking at:
A printed publication that will facilitate the transfer process is "The Nannini Guide: Navigating Your Successful Transfer to the University of California" by Daniel L. Nannini, Transfer Center Coordinator at Santa Monica College. This book is available at the SMC Bookstore and www.amazon.com
Additional Transfer Tidbits
College of Letters and Science
- Students are selected primarily on the basis of overall academic achievement and completion of the lower-division preparation for the major.
- Biological Science majors (Aquatic Biology, Biochemistry-Molecular Biology, Biological Sciences, Cell and Developmental Biology, Ecology and Evolution, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physiology, and Zoology) need a 2.7 GPA or higher in science and math courses, with a minimum of completion of one year of chemistry and at least one year-long sequence in calculus, physics, or biology. Students that apply to biological science majors are admitted under a pre-major status, and must complete lower division major requirements with a specific GPA at UCSB before being granted full major status.
- Students in other academic disciplines will be admitted to their first choice major without regard to major preparation, except for Computer Science (see Engineering below).
- Students that apply to Business Economics and Economics, Communication, Law and Society, Mathematics, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology are admitted under a pre-major status, and must complete lower-division major requirements with a specific GPA at UCSB before being granted full major status.
College of Engineering and Computer Science in the College of Letters and Science
Transfer applicants are screened for the amount of lower division major coursework completed, the grades earned in coursework, and the cumulative GPA. A transferable GPA of at least 3.0 is the minimum required for admissions consideration.
- Computer Science (BS)/Computer Science (BA) requires 1 year of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, discrete probability (calculus based), and courses in JAVA, C++, and assembly languages.
- For the BS, add one more year of calculus-based physics two general education courses.
- For the BA, add one year of calculus-based physcis.
- For Chemical, Computer, Electrical, and Mechanical Engineering, click on ASSIST to find appropriate SMC courses that will satisfy the transfer admission requirements.
College of Creative Studies
Students who apply to this college must fill out a supplemental application. Students are selected on the basis of outstanding academic and personal achievement, special talent, and capacity for excellence in one of the following emphases: Art (book arts, painting, sculpture), Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Literature, Mathematics, Music Theory and Composition, and Physics.