Transfer requirements to enter the University of California at Los Angeles
- Complete two transferable English composition courses.
- Complete one transferable math course.
- Complete 4 courses from 2 of the following 3 areas:
- Social/Behavioral Sciences
- Physical/Biological Sciences
- Complete 60 UC transferable semester units.
- A minimum 2.4 GPA (2.8 for International applicants).
- Complete as much coursework in the major as you can (priority is given to students that complete the most coursework in the major).
- Complete either the IGETC or the campus specific general education requirements.
- Complete all of the requirements above by the Spring prior to Fall admission.
- Apply in November for the following Fall.
Click here to see if UCLA offers the major you're interested in. After following this link return to this page to find out which SMC courses you need to complete by either looking at:
A printed publication that will facilitate the transfer process is "The Nannini Guide: Navigating Your Successful Transfer to the University of California" by Daniel L. Nannini, Transfer Center Coordinator at Santa Monica College. This book is available at the SMC Bookstore and www.amazon.com.
Additional Transfer Tidbits
Below is some general information about transfer admission requirements for each of the specific colleges.
College of Letters and Science
- Most majors require around a 3.2 GPA.
- Impacted majors require approximately a 3.4-3.6, or higher.
- Impacted majors: All economics majors, communication studies, and all biological science majors.
- Students are not allowed to change majors into psychology or any of the econ or life science majors after they transfer.
School of Art and Architecture
- Most majors require around a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicants to all majors must demonstrate artistic ability and potential through submission of a portfolio, audition, interview, and/or questionnaire after filing their initial application.
School of Theater, Film and Television
- Both majors require around a 3.0 GPA.
- Film and Television majors are screened for junior level status and for completion of all university and school general education requirements (or IGETC). There is an additional written portfolio submitted after the initial application is submitted in November. Videos and movies are not part of the admissions decision.
- Theater applicants must interview and submit additional supporting materials. Students who wish to qualify for admission on the basis of performance must audition after the initial application.
School of Engineering and Applied Science