Student Veteran

The process of applying for school, obtaining benefits, determining a major, creating an education plan, and attending school can take some time. It's important that you follow these steps to prevent any unnecessary delay in receiving the educational entitlement.

Microsoft Word DocumentNew Student Checklist

  1. Apply for the GI Bill, Veterans Benefits.

  2. Apply for Admission to Santa Monica College.

  3. Complete the online Student Orientation.

  4. Apply for Financial Aid (Drescher Hall 1st Floor (310) 434-4343)
    1. Apply by submitting the FAFSA online where you will first need to obtain an FSA ID.

    2. Make sure to add SMC's federal ID#: 001286

  5. Apply for California College Promise Grant (CCPG) Pays for tuition for California residents who qualify (must have 1 year and 1 day in CA to be considered a resident)
    1. Log on to your Corsair Connect to apply Corsair Connect

  6. If you have taken coursework elsewhere please have an Official Transcript(s) sent to the admissions office (note that you cannot hand deliver your transcript, they must be sent from the other academic institution)
    1. Santa Monica College Admissions Office, 1900 Pico Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405

  7. Take the Math and English placement exams (if needed) at the assessment center located in the Liberal Arts Building, Room 109 (note: this office gets extremely busy prior to the beginning of a semester, please arrive early)
    1. Visit the Assessment Center for tools on preparation for the placement exams or access the guided self-placement tools, go to Corsair Connect. Log in, click the “Placement” tab, and follow the instructions on the screen.

  8. See a Veteran Counselor located in the liberal arts building room 135 to create an educational plan, the following items are required:
    1. Copy of DD214

    2. Certificate of Eligibility (provided by VA once you are approved for educational benefits)

    3. Unofficial transcripts from other institutions

    4. Student ID number

  9. Meet with VSOC Counselor (Dr. Julie Johns, to go over VA benefits and any possible entitlements (i.e. Vocational Rehabilitation, Stem Extension on GI Bill, Disability Claims)

  10. Meet with US Vets Counselor  to go over any counseling needs outside of college (i.e. Free furniture, Free legal assistance, rent or other needs)

  11. Enroll in Classes(You will only be paid for courses listed on your VRC education plan)
    1. Log in to Corsair Connect, select enroll

    2. Select semester(s) for which you want to enroll

    3. Click add a class, click on the search icon, find your course, select it

  12. Fill out Certification Agreement Form immediately after enrolling in classes
    1. Submit Certification Agreement Form to the VRC (Note: if you add or drop any classes listed on the Certification Agreement Form let the certifying official immediately, failure to do so may result in garnished VA payments.

      PDF FileCertification Agreement Form

  13. Apply for your VA HEALTH CARD by visiting the VA Medical Center located at 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073