Please read the information below before submitting your application. Students will be admitted to the program on a first come, first served basis. Space is limited.
Summer Jams is a bridge program that helps first time college students with their transition from high school into college. Selected students will participate in 10 days of fun, dynamic activities designed to strengthen reading, writing, math and study skills for a head start toward a college degree or career certification. Students will connect with new and continuing students, faculty and staff; they will receive individual support in adjusting to the college environment and connecting to resources on campus. Students participating in Summer Jams will automatically be enrolled in SMC’s First Year Experience (FYE) program. The Summer Jams Program will take place August 4, 2014 to August 15, 2014 on SMC's main campus.
- Guaranteed enrollment into English and Math courses for 1 year (Fall and Spring)
- Early enrollment
- Improve your math, reading, writing, and study skills
- Faster path to transfer
- Free tutoring during your first year
- Receive academic advising and help with registration
- Build a support network of students, faculty, and staff
- Familiarize yourself with the campus
- Transition successfully into college
To qualify for Summer Jams, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a recent graduate from high school
- Place into pre-college level math and English in SMC's math and English assessment
- Be a first time college student
- Plan to attend SMC in the Fall of 2014
To be a part of the Summer Jams program, complete the following steps:
Step 1: Complete your SMC application
· Complete an online SMC application for Fall 2014
Step 2: Go through Orientation
· Complete your online college orientation
Step 3: Corsair Connect
· Set up your Corsair Connect account
Step 4: Complete your Assessment
· Take the SMC English and Math assessment test in person (Picture ID required) during test-taking hours.
Location: Santa Monica College main campus, Liberal Arts Building, Rm 109
Phone #: (310) 434-8040*
*You may submit your application before you have taken your assessment test, but assessment tests must be completed by April 30th for priority deadline or June 30th for final deadline.*
Step 5: Summer Jams/FYE Application
- Complete your online Summer Jams application by April 30th for priority deadline or by June 30th for final deadline. (Please note that applications will be reviewed as soon as they are received and that admission decisions will be made within two weeks of receiving your application.)
- You can also submit your completed application in one of the following ways:
- Fill out the printable online application and fax it to 310 -434-3636
- Email it to WelcomeCenter@smc.edu
- Mail-in or drop it off in person to the Welcome Center in Cayton 110 at Santa Monica College,1900 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405.
The Welcome Center office hours for Spring 2014 are:
Monday-Thursday 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will be contacted via phone or email. Your final acceptance will depend on you attending the Summer Jams/ F.Y.E. orientation.
Step 6: Meet with a Welcome Center or Outreach counselor.
- Once you have been accepted, a Welcome Center or Outreach counselor will get in touch with you to set up your first meeting.