Santa Monica College Postmaster
Instructions for new e-mail users.
- Your network logon account username (truncated to 20 characters) is <surname>_<firstname>
(Note the use of the UNDERSCORE or shifted-hyphen character)
- Your password is (initially) SMC- plus the last four digits of your Social Security number
(i.e., the capital letters "SMC" plus a hyphen symbol plus the last four digits of your SSN (e.g., SMC-1234)
Security requirements and instructions on how to change it.
- Your domain is SMC
Your E-mail address:
Your e-mail address is your username + @smc.edu (i.e., <surname>_<firstname>@smc.edu)
Checking your E-mail:
- Use the e-mail program your department uses (Outlook or Exchange) to connect to the e-mail server
- You can also access your e-mail via your web browser by logging in at
Checking your Class Roster:
- Access your class roster by clicking the "Class Rosters" link at
- Your class roster username (and password) is the same as your network logon account.
- If you have further questions about the Class Roster service, contact the MIS department
Via e-mail at
By phone at Extension 4345
- Use e-mail for work-related communications (Personal use must not unduly consume resources or distract attention from your work)
- Keep the total size of all your messages within your quota (currently, about 750MB)
(Note: you will be unable to send e-mail as long as you have exceeded a 600MB prohibit-send quota)
(Note: you must re-delete messages in your Deleted Items folder to permanently purge them)
- For issues related to email, network accounts, faculty homepages and class rosters and grade submissions, contact ITHelp@smc.edu