|June 11, 2010|
Alumni Trivia Quiz: You’d Never Guess!
June is Graduation month at Santa Monica College – so we figured this is a great time to challenge you to a trivia quiz. SMC is a newsmaker for several reasons, beginning with its reputation as California’s No. 1 community college for transfers to UCLA, USC and Loyola Marymount University.
SMC also has an underlying tradition of “star power” – which brings us to our challenge. Thought you knew everything about SMC? Well, figure out who these famous SMC alumni are, and the first to respond to Bruce Smith with all correct answers will win a surprise gift! Let’s get started…
1. This two-time Academy Award winner, who was once married to a pop icon and made his first appearance in a “Little House on the Prairie” episode in 1974, recently directed a movie based on a bestselling non-fiction book by Jon Krakauer. He studied auto mechanics and speech at SMC. Who is he?
2. This pro football wide receiver changed his surname to reflect the number on his team uniform and made an appearance on the hit TV show “Dancing with the Stars” this season. He transferred to SMC in 1997 and played football for the Corsairs. Who is he and what team does he play for?
3. This champion American figure ice skater wore a mock tuxedo designed by Vera Wang at the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships. Champion AND former SMC student, you’d never guess!
4. This cultural icon and actor said, "You are tearing me apart! You say one thing, he says another, and everybody changes back again," in one of his most memorable roles. He was the first actor to receive a posthumous Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. He was enrolled in then-Santa Monica City College and majored in pre-law.
5. Another two-time Academy Award winner who attended SMC but left a year later to join the Pasadena Playhouse. In 1989, the SMC Board of Trustees awarded him an honorary degree. He led the fundraising drive for one of SMC’s hallmark facilities and, at his request, has a restroom named after him in an obscure location in the building. This should be easy…
6. This professional boxer, who has a legendary last name and a degree in business management from SMC, won a victory against a boxing legend’s daughter in 2001. It’s all in the name!
7. This former SMC student became the center of one of the greatest scandals in American political history and in 2000 began appearing in TV commercials for Jenny Craig for a short while. She cooperated with the famous biographer Andrew Morton for the telling of her life story.
8. Professional football wide receiver who also played for the Corsairs and was closely mentored by the late SMC coach Robert Taylor is one of only three players in history, along with Jermaine Lewis, to run back two punts for touchdowns and catch a touchdown pass in the same game. What is his name and team?
9. This Santa Monica native won an Oscar nomination for her role as a 100-year old in a blockbuster that is the second highest-grossing movie of all time.
10. This former SMC student is a two-time Academy award winner whose most recent Oscar was won for playing the role of Maggie Fitzgerald. You’ve got this one, baby…
11. He was NASA’s second civilian astronaut and was on the crew of the Apollo 7 mission.
|Home | Behind the Scenes | Past Issues | Video Gallery | Contact Us|