Prerequisite Course Waiver Requests based on Completed College Coursework or Advanced Placement (AP) Test Score Report
Counseling can only review prerequisite course waiver requests for the following classes:
- English, ESL, and Math
- Anatomy 1
- Biology 21
- Chemistry 11
Waivers for Other Chemistry, Physics & Biological Science
Counseling is NOT able to process these requests however directions for prerequisite course waiver requests are included below.
- Biology 22, 23, Microbiology 1, Nursing 17, Physiology 3, course prerequisite waivers can only be granted by the Life Sciences Department (a course syllabus may be required).
- Chemistry 12, 21, 22, 24 and Physics 7, 9, 22, 23, 24, course prerequisite waivers can only be granted by the Physical Sciences Department (a course syllabus may be required).
Send prerequisite course waiver requests to ScienceWaivers@smc.edu. Be sure to include scanned transcripts, web links to official course descriptions or course outlines, scanned syllabi (optional but recommended), and anything else you think would assist in verifying your waiver request. Make sure to clearly state your prerequisite course waiver request, and include your complete name and SMC student ID#.
If you have questions regarding your prerequisite course waiver request, use the email above or contact the Sciences Department Office located in (SCI 258) at (310) 434-4788. You may also contact the appropriate Life Sciences or Physical Sciences Chair with questions about the process.
Prerequisite Course Waivers for Any Other Class with a Prerequisite
Waivers for courses not listed above are not required at the time of enrollment (e.g., Chemistry 10, Accounting). However, your instructor may require that you provide proof of prerequisite fulfillment on the first day of class. You should bring a copy of your transcript on that day.
Instructions to obtain a Prerequisite Course Waiver based on Completed College-Level Coursework or Advanced Placement (AP) Exam Results via Online Counseling.
Waivers Based on College Coursework Completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better:
- If requesting a waiver based on relevant completed College coursework, you must provide us with a copy of your college transcript clearly noting the college/university where the course was taken, semester/quarter taken, and grade received. Include a course description. Indicate the course/s you are requesting to enroll in.
Waivers Based on College Board Advanced Placement (AP) test:
- If requesting a waiver based on an Advanced Placement (AP) Test, you must provide a copy of your AP Report from the College Board. The report must clearly note the test taken, year completed, and score received. Only scores of 3, 4, or 5 are considered. Indicate the course/s you are requesting to enroll in.
Waiver decisions will be emailed directly to your SMC email account.
Placement/prerequisite waivers will be issued according to the following:
- A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP English Language & Composition or Composition & Literature exam will qualify you for English 2;
- A score of 3 on the AP Calculus AB exam will qualify you for Math 7;
- A score of 3 on the AP Calculus BC exam will qualify you for Math 8;
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam will qualify you for Math 8;
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam will qualify you for Math 10, 11, 13, and 15.
- A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Chemistry exam will qualify a student for Chemistry 11.
Note: If using college coursework and/or AP scores to qualify for an AA degree and/or IGETC/CSU Certification, you must request your college/university official transcript/AP report to be mailed directly to the SMC Admissions Office. These documents must be sent from your college and/or College Board. Meet with a counselor in the General Counseling & Transfer Services Center to request the evaluation and to avoid taking classes you don’t need.