Education/Early Childhood Counselors
Fall 2020 Virtual Counseling Hours
- Monday: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Winter 2020 Virtual Counseling Hours
- Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Students meet with our Education/Early Childhood Counselors for a lot of reasons. Many students want information about educational planning for certificates, degrees, and transfer. Other students want to discuss strategies to help improve academic performance or need career counseling support.
How do I schedule an appointment?
Option 1 - Log into your Corsair Connect:
- click on "Book a Counseling Appointment" (left-hand margin)
- select "Early Childhood Education" from drop-down menu under Program/Area (this will only be available for Education/ECE students)
- select a time/counselor that works for you and click on the Reserve Appointment box
- an email confirmation will be sent to your SMC student email account
Option 2 - Call 310-434-8109 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave a message with your name, student ID, and a return phone number. We will contact you shortly to schedule an appointment.
How will I meet with my counselor if campus is closed?
The Education/ECE counselor will call you at your appointment time using the phone number on file in your student portal. The Counselor may also set up a Zoom meeting and the link will be provided to you. Please make sure that your phone number is correctly listed in Corsair Connect.
Need to update your phone number in Corsair Connect?
- Log into your Corsair Connect
- Click on the "Enrollment" tab in the upper right corner of the screen
- Click on "Profile/Preferences" in the left margin
- Make appropriate changes on the screen (phone, address, etc.)
- Click on "Submit Changes" bottom left of the screen
You should also make sure that your cell phone allows blocked/unknown callers at this time. If you are not able to answer at your scheduled appointment time, you will need to reschedule for another time.
Teacher Resource Room
Update for 2020-2021 Academic Year: The Teacher Resource Room is available to support Education/Early Childhood Students during the period of remote instruction. To access TRR services during 2020-2021, enroll in ECE 900. This is a free, noncredit support course open to all ECE students. For additional information, email email@example.com.
The Teacher Resource Room (located in Bundy 429) is here to support you in both your academic and career goals. In the TRR, we can help you be more successful in your classes! Visit us for assistance with your writing, concept development for assignments, feedback on assignments and presentations before the due date, or use our curriculum resources. One-on-one and small group tutoring is available for Child Growth and Development (PSYCH 11) and other Education or Early Childhood courses. The TRR has computers, laptops, printers, laminating machines, textbooks, and educational materials available for your use. Our lending library includes academic texts, curriculum books, children's books, toys and puppets. For more information about the TRR, including hours of operation, contact Lytha Roddy at 310-434-3316
ECE Textbook Lending Library
Update for 2020-2021: The ECE Textbook Lending LIbrary is temporarily closed until the Bundy Campus reopens.
Save money! Borrow your textbooks, FREE for the entire semester.
We have a huge selection of current Education/Early Childhood textbooks available to loan to enrolled students. Bring your student ID to Bundy 317 to pick up copies of the books you need for class. Confirm with your instructor that your textbooks are available in the lending library, or call 310-434-8109 for more information.
Financial Support for ECE Students
If you can answer YES to ALL of the following questions, you may be eligible to receive a stipend or reimbursement for taking classes here at Santa Monica College from the Child Development Training Consortium.
- Are you an Early Childhood Education Major?
- Are you enrolled in at least 3 units of Early Childhood Education or GE classes?
- Are you presently working (must be in a paid position) in a licensed child care center, an after-school program or a licensed family home childcare with children 5 years or younger?
If you answered YES, to all three questions, learn more about the ECE Student Career & Education Program.