About the Warner History Essay Contest
The Warner History Essay Contest, established by the Warner family, is a scholarship opportunity open to students of all majors. Cash prizes are awarded for the top three essays on any historical topic. Winners are recognized at the annual Scholarship Award ceremony in early June.
The cash prize amounts are the following: 1st place $1,100, 2nd place $800, and 3rd place $500.
Who can Apply?
Open to all majors
At least 3 units of SMC History courses
Overall 3.0 GPA in SMC History courses
- Submit the online SMC Scholarship Office application to determine your eligibility.
- The application deadline is Sunday, March 21, 2021.
- Eligible applicants will be notified by Friday, March 26, 2021.
4 to 6-page essay on any historical topic
- The deadline is Sunday, May 2, 2021.
- Submit essays (docx or PDF) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winners of the grand prizes will be announced on Friday, May 21, 2021.
- To cover contest requirements and review essay writing skills, an optional workshop will be offered by the History Department: Thursday, April 1, 2021 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Click on the following link to register for the live or recorded workshop: Writing Essays Live Zoom Session.