Here in the Center for Teaching Excellence, we want the faculty of Santa Monica College to have open availability to the best books and resources to help you be the best teacher you can be.
We have an ever-growing collection of informational books and DVDs available on loan for faculty. Please see the list below and contact us to inquire about availability. Click the titles to be redirected to descriptions and reviews.
New! Equity Resource Guide
The Equity and Diversity Committee explores academic and professional matters concerning faculty equity and diversity practices and policies at the college. It works with appropriate campus groups to develop, recommend, and assess policies, programs, and strategies that promote equity and diversity in student success and to update the college’s equity plan.
- Printed copies of the Equity Resource Guide are available to borrow from The Center in M104
- "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" by bell hooks (Qty. 10)
- "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Paulo Friere (Qty. 12)
- "Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning" by James Lang (Qty. 5)
- "Cheating Lessons: Learning from Academic Dishonesty" by James Lang (Qty. 5)
- "What the Best College Teachers Do" by Ken Bain (Qty. 20)
- "The College Fear Factor: How Students and Professors Misunderstand One Another" by Rebecca Cox (Qty. 20)
- "The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom" by James W. Stigler (Qty. 5)
- "How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching" by Susan A. Ambrose, Michael W. Bridges, Michele DiPietro, Marsha C. Lovett, & 2 more (Qty. 15)
- "Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms" by Ruth Schoenbach, Cynthia Greenleaf, Lynn Murphy
- "Mathaphobia: How You Can Overcome Your Math Fears and Become a Rocket Scientist" by Olympia LePoint (Qty: 5)
- "How the Brain Learns" by David A. Sousa (Qty. 2)
- "Culturally Responsive Teaching: Theory, Research, and Practice" by Geneva Gay (Qty. 10)
- "Redesigning America's Community Colleges: A Clearer Path to Student Success" by Thomas R. Bailey, Shanna Smith Jaggars, and Davis Jenkins (Qty. 15)
- "Creating the Opportunity to Learn: Moving from Research to Practice to Close the Achievement Gap" 1st Ed. Edition by A. Wade Boykin & Pedro Noguera (Qty. 25)
- "The Social Neuroscience of Education: Optimizing Attachment and Learning in the Classroom" by Louis Cozolino
- "How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens" by Benedict Carey
- "Mindset: The New Psychology of Success" by Carol Dweck
- "Mentoring At-Risk Students through the Hidden Curriculum of Higher Education" by Buffy Smith
- Rushton Hurley - Full Presentation 9/3/13 (Filmed at SMC)
- Harvey Stromberg: 40 Years of Teaching at SMC - Full Presentation 10/22/13 (Filmed at SMC)
- Anthony Yom - Culturally Responsive Teaching - Full Presentation 5/17/16 (Filmed at SMC)
- WestEd Reading Apprenticeship Classroom Series (4 DVDs, one of each class lesson)
- "When You Dream" The Community College Pipeline to Law School
- "Grading Best Practices" 4-pack - Magna 20 - Minute Mentor Series
*** NOTE: When borrowing books or DVDs from The Center, you will be required to leave your personal info, including campus email and home phone. We lend books for one (1) month periods, renewable in person or via email.