The District encourages the professional growth of classified employees. If you are a permanent classified employee of the District, you may be eligible for District "reimbursement of tuition, registration, and/or cost of books or materials for classes, conferences or workshops taken during the employee's non-work hours." (Please refer to District-CSEA Bargaining Agreement, Article 11.11)
What is eligible for reimbursement?
- Tuition or registration for classes, conferences, or workshops which directly relate to the employee’s current classification (or approved classification within the same job family of the current classification), and/or the cost of books or materials for the classes, conferences, or workshops.
- The classes, conferences, or workshops must be taken at an accredited community college, college or university, or adult school, or recognized accrediting agency and the employee must receive a passing grade, credit or verifiable certificate of completion.
Is there a maximum amount that can be reimbursed?
- Reimbursement is limited to a maximum of $1,500.00 per employee in one fiscal year, subject to funding availability.
- There is a limited amount of funds available for reimbursement, and all funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Who is eligible for reimbursement?
- The employee must have been a permanent employee of the District for not less than one year.
- Employees who receive reimbursement during one fiscal year shall not be eligible for reimbursement for a period of one full year thereafter.
- Employees under a disciplinary or overall work improvement notice may apply for reimbursement if the request is directly related to the stated job improvements cited in the notice.
How do I get a reimbursement?
- Three weeks prior to the class, conference, or workshop, fill out and submit the Classified Staff Professional Growth Education Request for Funds Form
- Have your supervisor approve and sign this form and send a copy to the Professional Development Coordinator (see contact below).
- Register for and attend the class, conference, or workshop. Please remember to obtain
and keep the following documents:
- proof of payment,
- registration confirmation,
- and a transcript, grade report, certificate of completion.
- After completing the class, conference, or workshop, fill out and submit the Classified Professional Development Growth Reimbursement Claim along with the a transcript or grade report with a passing grade, credit or certificate of completion to the Professional Development Coordinator.
- All of these materials must be submitted within one month of completing the class, conference, or workshop in order to receive reimbursement.
To be submitted at least three weeks prior to event to set aside funding:
To be submitted within one month after completion of event for reimbursement of expenses
For additional information or questions, please contact
Office of Human Resources – 310-434-4415 / ProfDevelopment@smc.edu