Information & Resources
Promotional - The selection of an employee through a competitive selection process into a vacant position in a different classification with a higher salary range, including a higher maximum salary rate.
Position Transfer - The selection of an employee into a vacant position within the employee's same classification which results in a change in department or supervisor.
Lateral Transfer - The selection of an employee to a vacant position in a similar or related classification with the same or lower salary range (selected employee must service a probationary period in the new class).
Useful information for navigating Classification & Compensation:
A guide to completing the Position Description Questionnaire:
The PDQ is a form of job documentation used to gather information from the incumbent in a particular job. It is the primary source of input requested from employees during the cyclical review of job descriptions and reclassification requests. The questionnaire is not used to evaluate performance, but rather to understand the essential duties, responsibilities, knowledge, and abilities related to the job. As the incumbent in the job, you are the job content expert and your input is critical in the job analysis process.
Consider these tips when completing a PDQ:
- Read the entire questionnaire before completing any of the questions so that you understand each section.
- Complete as much of the questionnaire as you can. Take a break for a day and complete the rest. Allow about 3 hours total to complete your questionnaire.
- Be accurate and avoid understating or overstating responsibilities.
- There are no right or wrong answers. Choose the answer that best applies to your job.
- When listing the essential job duties, include at least five and no more than ten. Make sure the percentage of job for the essential duties equals to 100%. List duties in order of importance if possible.
- Do your best describing the job and not your personal skills or experience. Focus on the position, not the person.
- Give examples as requested. You can attach additional sheets as required. Be as clear and concise as possible.
- When describing your job, consider what you do during the entire year. Your job may change from day to day, or according to the cycles of the fiscal year. If it does, please try to prioritize and generalize about the entire year.
- If you are in a job with multiple incumbents, you may complete your PDQ as an individual, or work with other employees to complete it as a group.
- We suggest that you keep a copy of the document for your records.
- Your supervisor will have a chance to review and comment on a separate page. The content you submitted will not be amended by your supervisor. You can also submit the questionnaire directly to us once you finish. We will connect with your supervisor to get the appropriate signatures.